'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 6' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 6' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 6'. He says this is one of the series' best seasons. The audio and video are exceptionally rendered on this Blu-ray set. The special features are overflowing with great stuff. Very highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5235...ek_tng_s6.html
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM

The Chase was one of my all time favorite episodes.

Spoiler
The woman in the hologram at the end is the Founder from Deep Space Nine. Paramount used so many of the same actors
Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Probably the single best season of ANY of the Star Trek TV series.

Thanks for the review!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Both seasons 5 and 7 have some very good episodes, but I have to strongly agree with Aaron about season 6 being the best season - It is this season that has the most "favorite" episodes of mine.
An odd price for release week, but $57.99 well spent.
I too have not been particularly with the way the episode listings are presented. Basically you over-open the package and look under the whole thing. Often times when you go to close it again, the paper scoots over ever so slightly and either creases or does not line up.

Aaron - we're all curious, how does DS9 look? We hope and know that DS9 the series is the next logical step once we get TNG Season 7 out of the way.

And did CBS need to upconvert anything or did they seem to have all the pieces for this season?

One nitpick - Was not the ship in Relics a transport or freighter, NOT a shuttle craft? I think even later on in the episode
Spoiler
where Georgi was trying to make Scotty feel good, the dialog about "I don't know, this ship would still be in use today with a few minor updates..." etc
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Aaron - we're all curious, how does DS9 look? We hope and know that DS9 the series is the next logical step once we get TNG Season 7 out of the way.
No idea about 'DS9' or how it looks. I haven't seen the Blu-rays.

Quote:
And did CBS need to upconvert anything or did they seem to have all the pieces for this season?
Some of the softer shots during conversations look like they could be upconverted here and there. Though, to be honest I didn't notice any real standout moments where you're like, "Yup, that's upconverted."

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
No idea about 'DS9' or how it looks. I haven't seen the Blu-rays.
Was not the 2-part episode Birthright part of season 6?
Described as "While visiting Deep Space Nine, Worf learns that his father is still alive and being held captive in a secret Romulan prison camp"
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Was not the 2-part episode Birthright part of season 6?
Described as "While visiting Deep Space Nine, Worf learns that his father is still alive and being held captive in a secret Romulan prison camp"
I was confused. I thought you were asking about 'DS9' Blus. The actual DS9 shown in the episode looks great. I'll try to get a screengrab of it.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I was confused. I thought you were asking about 'DS9' Blus. The actual DS9 shown in the episode looks great. I'll try to get a screengrab of it.
It's all good - So I wonder if it was a model or a rendering - I am sure if I dug deep enough I could find out.

A screengrab would be cool : 0
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Only seen the first few eps of the season. So far so good. Eps look nice. Haven't yet encountered an episode I especially liked though. Still, quite a few remaining.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
It's all good - So I wonder if it was a model or a rendering - I am sure if I dug deep enough I could find out.

A screengrab would be cool : 0
My understanding is that models were used for all ships and stations up until around season 5 of DS9, so I would assume its a model (I do think there is an episode in season 1 of TNG that has a CG enhanced ship for some effects, but I think the ship itself is a model).

I have not picked this season up yet. I was waiting for payday, and then everyone within an hour radius was out of stock, and Amazon and Best Buy's website was on a 4 week backorder. I took that as meaning to wait a few weeks or months to pick it up. Not that big of a deal, truthfully, I am so behind on watching television series - I am halfway through season 3 of Enterprise (season 4 is on the shelf unopened), on the second disc of season one of Little HOuse on the Prairie (season 2 is on the shelf unopened), on season 2 of DragonBall Z (season 5 just came out), and got many animie shows on the shelf unopened. So I have no issue waiting a while for TNG - no matter how badly I want it