Criterion BD/DVD/VHS combo pack - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Criterion BD/DVD/VHS combo pack

Now that'd be an interesting cardboard case.

O_o
Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 PM

It would probably be BD/DVD/LaserDisc
Attached Thumbnails
Criterion BD/DVD/VHS combo pack-criterion.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Hmm, you are right, and LaserDisc even has some value still (from what I understand).

DVDs and BDs requires compression, and (if I'm correct) LaserDisc is an uncompressed, lossless format.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Hmm, you are right, and LaserDisc even has some value still (from what I understand).
As someone who still has a sizable Laserdisc collection... no, they don't hold any value. If I tried to sell my collection, I'd literally get pennies for most discs. The fact that they are large, heavy, fragile and expensive to ship makes selling them extremely difficult.

A couple years ago, I cleared out a big chunk of my LD collection by listing the discs on Craig's List for free to anyone who could come pick them up. I was very lucky to get a taker.

Quote:
DVDs and BDs requires compression, and (if I'm correct) LaserDisc is an uncompressed, lossless format.
Laserdisc PCM audio is uncompressed (2.0 surround). Laserdisc video is analog. A great Laserdisc is somewhat below the quality of a non-anamorphic DVD. A poor Laserdisc is unwatchable today.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 PM

BTW, Criterion did actually release a small handful of movies on VHS. I know of The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes and The Third Man.

I believe they also released Spirits of the Dead on VHS when they couldn't get the DVD rights but the VHS rights were available.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:47 AM

Josh I'm pretty surprised your LD player still works. No issues with it? Then again, you're not watching a movie on it weekly
Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Josh I'm pretty surprised your LD player still works. No issues with it? Then again, you're not watching a movie on it weekly
My LD player is still in my equipment rack, but I haven't hooked it up since I moved last year. I dread the prospect of connecting it only to find that it's no longer working properly.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM

The last time I used my players back home they were both working. Those suckers were heavy duty.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My LD player is still in my equipment rack, but I haven't hooked it up since I moved last year. I dread the prospect of connecting it only to find that it's no longer working properly.
I would hook it up and let it play a little. Sometimes it's bad for the gears to not movie for quite some time.
Hopefully it still works with no issues.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I would hook it up and let it play a little. Sometimes it's bad for the gears to not movie for quite some time.
Hopefully it still works with no issues.
Yeah, and I'm really worried about the rubber belts decaying.

The issue with hooking it up is that the LD player has so many more cable connections than Blu-ray: S-video, Toslink audio, analog L/R audio, and AC-3 RF audio, plus a separate RF-demodulator for the AC-3. And I need all of those. Some go to my A/V receiver, some go to my video processor, and some have to go into switchers in between. I just don't have the time or desire to map out how everything needs to be connected.

HDMI greatly simplified my life.