The Innocents

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Sundays and Cybčle
Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Also, "Dual-Format" is dead:
Quote:
Re: Format
By Peter Becker

Last November, when we announced that we would start releasing dual-format editions, we hoped that we had found an alternative that would address our concerns about packaging costs across two formats, while guaranteeing that both DVD and Blu-ray customers would still have access to an identical product. While we did solve that problem, no one seemed particularly happy with the solution. Blu-ray customers didn’t like making room for DVDs they didn’t want, and DVD customers didn’t like paying more to get a Blu-ray they couldn’t play. We soon found that we had to start releasing stand-alone DVD editions alongside the dual-format ones because a fairly large proportion of our audience has not made the leap to Blu-ray yet. And once we had separate DVD editions, what was the point of putting DVDs in with the Blu-rays? A good question.

With that in mind, when we announce our September titles at the beginning of next week, we'll be going back to releasing separate DVD and Blu-ray editions. In most cases, the contents of the releases will be the same in both formats. This may come as welcome news to many of you and perhaps as a disappointment to some, but please know that we’ll keep thinking and listening, experimenting and exploring, so do let us know your thoughts and preferences.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 PM

So glad they killed dual format!
Good riddance to those stupid cardboard cases!!!

Too bad they can't utilize digital to replace the DVDs

Macbeth and Eraserhead MAY have to be Day 1s for me yikes.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM

While those with a keen eye recall that I complained a bit about the larger, cardboard cases of the new dual format releases...I'm glad I bought them when I did. Some thoughts...

First, I really don't think we saw an added expense for the inclusion of DVDs. Most titles still retailed for $39.99. I almost never loan out movies, but I could see loaning out my DVD copy from the dual format set.

Second, will this mean those titles already released as Dual Format will get new releases? If so, I'd imagine we wouldn't see a price adjustmenet below the $39.99 mark.

Third, if these dual format packages will be phased out, would they become more desireable?

IMO, if you have any interest in any Criterion titles that currently have a dual format release, buy them up during the next B&N sale. You are basically getting the DVD for free (for now), as soon it sounds like $39.99 will once again only get us the BD only packages.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
So glad they killed dual format!
Good riddance to those stupid cardboard cases!!!
Oh, I wouldn't expect "those stupid cardboard cases" to disappear at all. On the contrary, the digipaks will continue to be used on titles that warrant more elaborate packaging, just as they were before "Dual-Format" was a thing. See: Seven Samurai, The Battle of Algiers, the original (and D-F reissue) of Breathless, etc.

I'm actually a little disappointed by the decision. Dual Format didn't cost the BD customer anything they weren't already paying by choosing the premium format. We got DVDs -- to lend to friends, use in classrooms, or play in a non-Blu-ray equipped room -- for FREE.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
First, I really don't think we saw an added expense for the inclusion of DVDs. Most titles still retailed for $39.99. I almost never loan out movies, but I could see loaning out my DVD copy from the dual format set.
Are you sure about that? While the MSRP stayed the same, I noticed higher prices on Amazon and B&N.
Maybe I was wrong though, not 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Oh, I wouldn't expect "those stupid cardboard cases" to disappear at all. On the contrary, the digipaks will continue to be used on titles that warrant more elaborate packaging, just as they were before "Dual-Format" was a thing. See: Seven Samurai, The Battle of Algiers, the original (and D-F reissue) of Breathless, etc.
Oh I know they won't DISAPPEAR, BUT they will be much less had they been dual format.
Where's Josh:
I COULD CARE LESS about the cardboard cases
I couldn't care less about the cardboard cases, I dislike them and always have. They will eventually fall apart because the glue will not last.

Quote:
I'm actually a little disappointed by the decision. Dual Format didn't cost the BD customer anything they weren't already paying by choosing the premium format. We got DVDs -- to lend to friends, use in classrooms, or play in a non-Blu-ray equipped room -- for FREE.
I agree, having dual format was a nice bonus at a cost of the packaging which I didn't like. It's a shame they couldn't make a clear plastic case with proper inserts.

But the fact that they moved away from dual format leads me to believe sales declined and/or a lot of customers complained...Or the President of Criterion opened one at home and said this sucks, change it back
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Eliminating Dual Format means that once again you can buy Criterion editions at your local Walmart (that's to say if you want the DVD.)
Walmart has not carried any Criterion Blus at all, standalone or dual format.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Are you sure about that? While the MSRP stayed the same, I noticed higher prices on Amazon and B&N. Maybe I was wrong though, not 100%
The MSRP, or a retailers discount rate, was never directly tied to Dual-Format. In fact, several titles were cheaper in the last year that D-F was in use, but only because Amazon, and even Best Buy, decided to regularly have "sales" on select Criterions, marking down many BDs and Dual-Formats to ~ $22.99 a couple of times.

Quote:
It's a shame they couldn't make a clear plastic case with proper inserts.
One of the reasons Criterion started releasing more digipaks is that Scanavo -- Criterion's clear casemaker -- only made 1 and 2 disc cases. Most of the time, if a Dual-Format release was only 2 discs, CC still packaged it in a Scanavo.

Frances Ha, A Brief History of Time, Chaplin's City Lights were all D-F -- 1 BD and 1 DVD -- and released in the standard clear case. I know there were other clear case releases in the D-F period. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Where Criterion got into trouble was with the 3 disc D-F sets. Films with more special features bloomed to 1 BD and 2 DVDs, and couldn't fit in the Scanavo case.

What's funny is Scanavo finally started producing a 3 and 4 disc version of their keepcase a month or two ago. Criterion has used the new 3-disc clear case on their recent D-F releases of Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows and Antonioni's L'Eclisse.

I assume most, but not all, of the Dual-Formats will use this new case until September.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 06-17-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The MSRP, or a retailers discount rate, was never directly tied to Dual-Format. In fact, several titles were cheaper in the last year that D-F was in use, but only because Amazon, and even Best Buy, decided to regularly have "sales" on select Criterions, marking down many BDs and Dual-Formats to ~ $22.99 a couple of times.

One of the reasons Criterion started releasing more digipaks is that Scanavo -- Criterion's clear casemaker -- only made 1 and 2 disc cases. Most of the time, if a Dual-Format release was only 2 discs, CC still packaged it in a Scanavo.

Frances Ha, A Brief History of Time, Chaplin's City Lights were all D-F -- 1 BD and 1 DVD -- and released in the standard clear case. I know there were other clear case releases in the D-F period. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Where Criterion got into trouble was with the 3 disc D-F sets. Films with more special features bloomed to 1 BD and 2 DVDs, and couldn't fit in the Scanavo case.

What's funny is Scanavo finally started producing a 3 and 4 disc version of their keepcase a month or two ago. Criterion has used the new 3-disc clear case on their recent D-F releases of Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows and Antonioni's L'Eclisse.

I assume most, but not all, of the Dual-Formats will use this new case until September.
Excellent, thanks for the info
Old 06-18-2014, 09:14 AM

This does not bode well for Blu-Ray. Criterion fans, probably more than any other group, are interested in PQ and AQ. If a seemingly large portion of Criterion fans, possibly a majority, have not switched to Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray is doomed.