'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Default 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey'. He says the show is fantastic. The video and audio are near perfection. The Blu-ray is very highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1193...meodyssey.html
Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I know COSMOS was created for the layperson, but it was too dumbed-down for me. They pandered a lot to the religious crowd - with stuff that has no business being in a science documentary. Also, far too much of this series was spent on biographies of scientists, instead of examining the actual science. I found Sagan's original COSMOS to be much more engaging, although it's obviously more dated now. There was a sense of 'awe' about that original series that is missing in this new one.

I'd recommend this to kids in grade school or Jr. High, but anyone with even basic knowledge about how the universe works is going to find the vast majority of COSMOS disappointing.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I know COSMOS was created for the layperson, but it was too dumbed-down for me. They pandered a lot to the religious crowd - with stuff that has no business being in a science documentary.
Pandering to the religious crowd? I gave up on the show halfway through the season because I got tired of the constant attacks on religion as the enemy of science. I'm not even religious. I just found the presentation frustrating. The show should invite everyone in to see the wonders of science, not push them away by telling the majority of viewers that their belief systems are stupid and evil. As you say, that stuff has no business being in a science documentary.

I agree with the criticism about dumbing the science down. The format is very scattershot in the way that it superficially skims over a topic and then immediately bounces to something else 20 or 30 times an episode.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
There was a sense of 'awe' about that original series that is missing in this new one.
Couldn't disagree with this more.

He battles the scientific boys club just as much as he battles religion. The whole point of including those stories was to show how science grows and evolves in spite of oppressive influences.

To say this is only for grade school kids is slightly insulting. So thanks for that.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
To say this is only for grade school kids is slightly insulting. So thanks for that.
Hey, I said Jr. High too! But come on - this science this show presents is pretty basic/simplistic stuff - unless you fell asleep in science class every day. As Josh said, every time they'd start to go a little deeper into something interesting, they'd jump away to a new topic.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, I said Jr. High too! But come on - this science this show presents is pretty basic/simplistic stuff - unless you fell asleep in science class every day. As Josh said, every time they'd start to go a little deeper into something interesting, they'd jump away to a new topic.
Since I'm an English major science, even the simple stuff, goes right over my head. I learned bucket loads of new information during this show's run. So, I'd stop making assumptions about the people who this show is made for. That, or I guess I need to go back to Jr. High.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Since I'm an English major science, even the simple stuff, goes right over my head. I learned bucket loads of new information during this show's run. So, I'd stop making assumptions about the people who this show is made for. That, or I guess I need to go back to Jr. High.
It's made for everyone. Everyone on the internet. All of you on the internet, please buy a copy right now. Buy two copies. Heck, buy three!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:43 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
It's made for everyone. Everyone on the internet. All of you on the internet, please buy a copy right now. Buy two copies. Heck, buy three!
Believe it or not, I'LL probably buy a copy eventually, as I'm a huge Tyson fan. But not until it drops in price...I would like to check out the bonuses on this set.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM

I've watched all but the last episode so far via TV recordings. I liked it. Looks great, and covers some stuff I didn't know about.

I don't see anything wrong with it covering certain people that had a notable influence in regards to the subject matter.

As to regards to 'attacking religions'. I don't think it was particularly harsh. It was just direct about how sometimes religion did indeed interfere. He did also mention times when the prevailing scientific theory trumped new ideas (that were more accurate) because of stodgy farts didn't really invite new ideas (even though that's an important part of scientific discovery).
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I got tired of the constant attacks on religion as the enemy of science.
Let's weigh that...

Attacking with words on how religious authority threaten scientific inquiry.

versus

Attacking with fire, actually being burned alive at a pyre for believing that
the earth wasn't the center of the universe.

I wonder if there was a critic who wrote that he got tired of the constant
smell of burnt scientists who just can't realize that the sun revolved
around the earth. Can't they learn that scientific observations are the
enemy of true religious knowledge.