'The NeverEnding Story: 30th Anniversary Edition' and the sequel are coming October 7 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Default 'The NeverEnding Story: 30th Anniversary Edition' and the sequel are coming October 7

They've been remastered apparently.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1250...emastered.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1250...emastered.html
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Wasn't there more than one sequel?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Unless they're referring to 4K, or unless the previous release absolutely sucked, I won't buy into the "remastered" jargon.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM

This is a bit annoying. I recently bought the first movie on BD. Haven't even gotten around to watching it, actually >_<

Well, I'll wait until I see the differences in this 'remaster'. If it's an improvement, I'll upgrade I suppose. I'll be grabbing the second one, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Wasn't there more than one sequel?
Yep. Three movies total. Don't even think I've seen the 3rd Movie >_>

Considering it's apparently considered "....one of the worst sequels in cinema history.", I wouldn't expect (nor would I much care for) it to come out on BD.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM

The first two are based on the novel (loosely.)

The third one has singing and characters using the auron as a credit card at a mall, and ends in a freeze-frame jumping high five.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
The third one has singing and characters using the auron as a credit card at a mall, and ends in a freeze-frame jumping high five.
That sounds amazing.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Unless they're referring to 4K, or unless the previous release absolutely sucked, I won't buy into the "remastered" jargon.
The 2010 Blu-ray of NeverEnding Story did kind of suck. There was quite a controversy when the original Blu-ray was released. Compared to previous DVDs, the BD transfer had radical shifts in the color palate and a considerable contrast boost, neither of which were approved by director Wolfgang Petersen.

Apparently, the director didn't even know the film was released on Blu-ray until he read about it on the Internet. In an interview with MTV shortly after the disc came out, Petersen claimed he'd sent his assistant to buy a copy and looked forward to watching it with family. Perhaps Petersen didn't like what he saw when he watched it, particularly the new colors and detail obliterating black boost, and demanded a remaster?

He was also pretty disappointed that WB didn't approach him for new special features at the time, and released a barebones disc. If this 30th anniversary has some new content, maybe a director approved remaster was part of the deal? Or perhaps -- and it is Warner, so who knows -- Petersen did like the new look, and this is just the same 2010 transfer re-encoded in AVC. Now that they have an director approval, and an anniversary to celebrate, they're explicitly noting the remaster already performed in 2010?

There is yet another possibility. The original film elements of the 102 minute German theatrical version (the so called Extended Cut) were poorly stored and badly damaged. A new restoration in Petersen's native Germany, produced by Constantin Film in 2013, attempted to restore the longer cut in German and English. Unfortunately, Constantin was a little heavy handed when it came to noise reduction and the only suitable element of the 102 min cut has all on-screen text in German, but the Constantin BD reportedly has an English DTS-HD MA 5.1 track on the long cut and subtitles where needed. WB Japan released a deluxe version of the film on Blu-ray in late 2013. The 2 disc set included both the Constantin-restored Extended Cut and the 94 minute "International" version shown in the US and most other markets (and seen on the first US BD). Perhaps the new 30th Anniversary will be similar?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That sounds amazing.
I do feel like I should watch it again now that I can appreciate terrible movies. As far as I know, it never made it past VHS.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 AM

The Cosmos is telling me something about my blu-ray addiction,
if there is another release of a film that I bought years ago that
is still sitting unopened on my shelf.

Hey, maybe this is a positive thing? I may now open it and
watch it, jumping it up to the top of the queue. Maybe.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
The first two are based on the novel (loosely.)
Very loosely, yes >_>

Recently read the book. That's usually how it goes though.