Criterion & their packaging - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Criterion & their packaging

With the new Dual Format approach by Criterion, it seems like the "standard" Criterion cases are becoming less common.

They are being replaced by variations of their cardboard sleve case.

There is somethings I like, and don't like about this...

+ The cardboard cases look good next to each other, and give a very substantial presence to the titles.
+ Care was given with these products, it shows, and they are more of an event to open than a standard case.

- They can get damaged more easily. In 10 years time, will my 'Repo Man' case hold up as well as my plastic cased '39 Steps'?
- Criterion titles look great on display, with their spines lined up (you know what I'm talking about). With the variations in case type and size, you lose some of that visual cohesiveness.
- 'Red River' is ****ing HUGE! Sure, it's dual format, with two different Blu-Ray cuts, AND a reprint of the original (out of print) story on which it was based. But it's wider than 'Che', and is just one movie! My point is, for some, shelf space is limited. Then again, it's a $50 title, so it goes back to my first point...you are getting a substantial product for your money.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM

I can't STAND cardboard cases. I hate them. The clear plastic cases were awesome.

I like to keep my Criterions all in the same rack. The cardboard ones make the collection awkward to stack with.

it's a minor gripe though for me.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I can't STAND cardboard cases. I hate them. The clear plastic cases were awesome.

I like to keep my Criterions all in the same rack. The cardboard ones make the collection awkward to stack with.

it's a minor gripe though for me.
It didn't strike me as a big deal until 'Red River'. It is larger than my Universal Monster's Collection package.

ARE there any new plastic cased releases anymore?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
With the new Dual Format approach by Criterion, it seems like the "standard" Criterion cases are becoming less common.

They are being replaced by variations of their cardboard sleve case.
Criterion's "standard" packaging has evolved over the years and there has always been variance within the collection.

Digipaks w/outer cases were quite popular for DVD releases that included something substantial beyond the film: bonus discs with alternate cuts, documentaries, etc. or physical extras, like a collection of essays that make for a thicker-than-usual booklet, a reprinted screenplay, or even a complete novel.

Is Red River a large package? Yes. It's beefy because of the increased number of discs AND because of the book. But look at the Criterion DVD releases of Vampyr, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Short Cuts, Two Lane Blacktop, The Complete Mr. Arkadin, etc. They're all pretty big. The 1999 DVD release of Brazil was massive and awkward -- 3 separate cases slid inside another case/sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
ARE there any new plastic cased releases anymore?
Yes.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, All That Heaven Allows, L'eclisse, Overlord and many other recent discs are packaged in the clear cases.