Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3393/ravenous.html
Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Holy Shit! That's Plissken99's avatar! LOL
I never knew where it was from.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
There are no high-def exclusives.
Wrong. Shout/Scream filmed a new interview with Jeffrey Jones (~20 mins) and the disc includes an isolated score encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

I also think the 5.1 track is better than reviewed/rated. The disgusting "feasting" scenes offer plenty.

The video transfer is complete shite though. Soooo many strange anomalies. I mean the whole thing has this harsh and electronic texture, rampant artifacts and noise, but then the blacks are comparatively spotless. Soft and smeary details like DNR is in play but then there are scratches and dirt all over the place. What kind of algorithms do that?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Soft and smeary details like DNR is in play but then there are scratches and dirt all over the place. What kind of algorithms do that?
DNR is a separate process from dirt and scratch removal, though the two are often used in conjunction. DNR applies a blanket softening of the entire image to reduce grain. Dirt and scratches have to be targeted and painted out frame-by-frame.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Holy Shit! That's Plissken99's avatar! LOL
I never knew where it was from.
Hehe, yep that's me.

As Limey says the UK company Arrow might do a remaster of this, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I saw screen comparisons I had to stop myself from breaking something. A guy on AVS contacted Shout! Factory to complain, they replied back and informed him that they got the transfer from Fox, so Fox are the douchebags responsible for that. Thought I blame Shout! for releasing it at all.

So until the Arrow thing comes through, if it does, I'll make do with the HDX version I have on Vudu, which from the screens is probably the exact same transfer. May Fox go to the hell of a billion serpents.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Hehe, yep that's me.

As Limey says the UK company Arrow might do a remaster of this, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I saw screen comparisons I had to stop myself from breaking something. A guy on AVS contacted Shout! Factory to complain, they replied back and informed him that they got the transfer from Fox, so Fox are the douchebags responsible for that. Thought I blame Shout! for releasing it at all.

So until the Arrow thing comes through, if it does, I'll make do with the HDX version I have on Vudu, which from the screens is probably the exact same transfer. May Fox go to the hell of a billion serpents.
LOL

I never knew your avatar was from this movie. So I _assume_ you are a big fan?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Yep, as the reviewer says it's a criminally underrated movie. I actually had the score on CD, it is now ripped to my hard drive. I believe this is one of those that got crushed in Titanics wake, also Fox had no clue how to advertise it, and made it looks like a weird hip dark comedy. I hadn't even been looking forward to seeing it really. I remember a friend and I had the habit of seeing a movie in the morning, and timing it to walk into the showing of another movie, usually an R rated movie. This was one of the ones we saw secondly, and saw three times after that in theaters.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Just watch it on Netflix instead.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 PM

It's cropped in Netflix to 1:78.1 from 2:35.1, but it is a good way to see it 1st at least. I got it on Vudu through the Walmart disc to digital thing, proper aspect ratio.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM

I will need to see it.

Thanks