'True Detective: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Default 'True Detective: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed 'True Detective: The Complete First Season'. He says this is a truly original spin on standard police procedurals. This Blu-ray's video and audio presentations are both impressive. Supplements are plentiful and informative. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1061...ective_s1.html
Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Tiny nitpick here (well, other than the fact that I think this show deserves a full 5 stars):

It's "From the dusty mesa..." NOT "From the dusty May sun"
Old 05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Tiny nitpick here (well, other than the fact that I think this show deserves a full 5 stars):

It's "From the dusty mesa..." NOT "From the dusty May sun"
lol, just fixed it. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Hey Steven. How does this Blu compare to the original HD broadcast?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Personally I found the series entirely unmemorable. The acting is certainly excellent, as is the cinematography... but I couldn't get into the storyline and the characters were all unlikeable. I know I'm in the minority, but I think True Detective was the most overrated show of this past TV season (decent, but far from the great series most feel it is). Though I hung in for all of the first season, I won't be back for season two (and of course will be passing on this blu-ray set).
Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 PM

How on Earth does the reviewer make Hart the "everyman hero" of the show? That simply couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Hey Steven. How does this Blu compare to the original HD broadcast?
Unfortunately, I initially watched the show on HBO Go so I can't compare it to the HD broadcast.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
How on Earth does the reviewer make Hart the "everyman hero" of the show? That simply couldn't be further from the truth.
As a direct counterpoint to Rust's overtly intense and philosophical character, Hart's more down-to-earth, average guy personality definitely falls under an everyman archetype, becoming the person the audience can initially relate to more. While more complicated flaws, weaknesses, and actions are revealed throughout the season (as I allude to in the review) that gradually make the character far less of an everyman, he still serves that function in relation to Rust.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Loved until the end. Felt the ending wasn't as smart as the rest of it. Just expected more.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
Well, he's certainly the 'everyman' - with all the good and bad that comes with it. Whether he's a hero or not, is up to the viewer.