Redbox to Close 500 Blu-ray Rental Kiosks - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Banned

Default Redbox to Close 500 Blu-ray Rental Kiosks

REDBOX has more than 40,000 rental kiosks in the United States that offer Blu-ray rentals. Now REDBOX is closing 500 of their rental kiosks around the United States. More and more consumers are using video on demand from cable and satellite for the latest hit movie rentals. Also streaming services like VUDU and Netflix is growing in popularity.

If consumers do not support their local REDBOX location, then possible in the years to come more rental kiosks might also be removed (closed). For most consumers in the United States, REDBOX is the only local place that exists to rent Blu-ray discs. Netflix offers Blu-ray disc rentals by mail only.

Redbox has announced that it plans to eliminate more than 500 DVD/Blu-ray rental kiosks around the nation in a bid to reduce expenses, writes Verge.com.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tv052614.htm
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
For most consumers in the United States, REDBOX is the only local place that exists to rent Blu-ray discs.
I live in a small town (less that 5000 people) and even this area has several video stores that rent Blu Ray discs. What is likely killing Redbox which you already indicated is partly the streaming business.

Even more so though (and more likely) would be the high cost of renting their space. This in general destroys MANY businesses, not just Redbox. I don't imagine a place like Walmart has a very cheap rental rate for that small 3 x 3 square in the vestibule.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM

There are so many places where a redbox unit is placed basically right beside another one and another one... Places like China Mart and McD's probably have more loyal redbox customers and make more money, but with the units so close together, they're in competition with each other.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 AM

I'll point out that 500 kiosks out of 40000+ are only just over 1% of their total number. The 500 can probably easily be culled by removing underperforming locations or reducing a location with two kiosks down to one.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Not like they ever have anything I want to watch anyway.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post
I'll point out that 500 kiosks out of 40000+ are only just over 1% of their total number. The 500 can probably easily be culled by removing underperforming locations or reducing a location with two kiosks down to one.
That's pointed out in the article he linked to (he just didn't mention that part), along with this:

"In a related study, a Gallup poll found this week that 80 percent of Americans own either a DVD player and/or Blu-ray player, compared to 39 percent who now subscribe to a streaming service such as Netflix.

"Essentially the same share of Americans own DVD or Blu-ray players as in 2005, 80%, and this is the most commonly owned electronic device," Gallup said in a press release."
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
That's pointed out in the article he linked to (he just didn't mention that part), along with this:

"In a related study, a Gallup poll found this week that 80 percent of Americans own either a DVD player and/or Blu-ray player, compared to 39 percent who now subscribe to a streaming service such as Netflix.

"Essentially the same share of Americans own DVD or Blu-ray players as in 2005, 80%, and this is the most commonly owned electronic device," Gallup said in a press release."
Wouldn't a cell phone be the most commonly owned electronic device? Especially when a household may have one optical disc player, but a cell phone for each member in the house?

Also...how many of you have elderly family who have a DVD player, but never use it? When they dropped to $19.99 at Wal-Mart, it makes sense to just buy one when visiting Grandma, to show home movies burned to DVD-Rs.

Does this poll also include game consoles and PCs with DVD drives? I think that could inflate the numbers, making it look like more Americans have DVD players they actively use hooked up to their home theaters.

An interersting stat would be how many who own a DVD/Blu-Ray player have watched a disc on it in the past 6 months. I'm sure the numbers would be closer to the 39% streaming subscriber number than the 80% number.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Wouldn't a cell phone be the most commonly owned electronic device? Especially when a household may have one optical disc player, but a cell phone for each member in the house?

Also...how many of you have elderly family who have a DVD player, but never use it? When they dropped to $19.99 at Wal-Mart, it makes sense to just buy one when visiting Grandma, to show home movies burned to DVD-Rs.

Does this poll also include game consoles and PCs with DVD drives? I think that could inflate the numbers, making it look like more Americans have DVD players they actively use hooked up to their home theaters.

An interersting stat would be how many who own a DVD/Blu-Ray player have watched a disc on it in the past 6 months. I'm sure the numbers would be closer to the 39% streaming subscriber number than the 80% number.
What Is The Most Commonly Owned Electronic Device?

BREAKING: I'd just say the original post, while formatted to look like an AP newswire (as usual), really has no news or clear information to report. Says Attebery:

"We're arguing in circles here."
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 PM

So what is the least commonly owned electronic device?

Nokia N-Gage?
Phillips CD-i?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
So what is the least commonly owned electronic device?

Nokia N-Gage?
Phillips CD-i?
A Laserfilm player.

No, not Laserdisc. Laserfilm.