'Ray Donovan: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Default 'Ray Donovan: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Ray Donovan: Season One'. He says it took a few episodes for this series to hook him as a viewer, but once it did, he really enjoyed it. If you have the time to invest, this series will provide some worthwhile viewing. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1155...seasonone.html
Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Anyone watch this show? I really loved the premise and music of this show. Some bad areas but otherwise I love it. Horrible Boston accent on the wife BTW. Why can't people do Boston accents right? Anyways, the first season was pretty good. I used to watch it after Dexter but with Dexter gone I no longer get Showtime. I don't even know if Season 2 started. This reminded me to look into it.

I never liked Liev Schreiber in the Xmen movies but man I like him here a lot. He plays the role perfectly IMO.

I liked this show enough that I will probably buy the series when on sale.

I agree with Shannon, you may need a few episodes to get into it.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Horrible Boston accent on the wife BTW. Why can't people do Boston accents right?
Paula Malcomson is from Ireland, so I'm willing to cut her some slack as her only experience with Boston accents is probably watching other movies with bad Boston accents.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Paula Malcomson is from Ireland, so I'm willing to cut her some slack as her only experience with Boston accents is probably watching other movies with bad Boston accents.
Well, they definitely picked the right ethnic background for her
My problem with her was also her behavior. Sometimes it was unbelievable how she would act in response to what her husband was doing among other things. It was a little irritating. It may be my only real gripe with the show. Oh wait, the daughter is super annoying LOL

Did you watch the whole season? (In general not necessarily the blu rays)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Malcomson's accent in the show is terrible, and Jon Voight's isn't much better. I like the show, but I agree that it also took a few episodes to hook me.

Season 2 premieres July 13th.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Malcomson's accent in the show is terrible, and Jon Voight's isn't much better. I like the show, but I agree that it also took a few episodes to hook me.

Season 2 premieres July 13th.
Voight's is bad but his acting is much better than hers

Wow, July 13th. Feels like it's been 2 years since Season 1 ended.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Voight won the Golden Globe for this.

But that's almost assuredly due to name recognition than anything else, although I DO like his character quite a bit.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Voight won the Golden Globe for this.

But that's almost assuredly due to name recognition than anything else, although I DO like his character quite a bit.
I DISLIKE his character but LIKE how Voight portrays him, if that makes sense

One think I want to show to get back on is the "fixing problems" that were more prevalent in the first few episodes. I feel these tapered off in later shows, but I guess they had to because of the underlying story with Ray, his father, brothers and what went on back in Boston.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 PM

I liked this better when it was called The Sopranos, felt too much like a cheap knock off. Though it did improve towards the end.

The 'bonus' is a bit misleading. All recent Showtime shows have that. I used that app when the show was originally broadcast. Might as well list the special features of being in color and having stereo/surround sound.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueeds View Post
I liked this better when it was called The Sopranos, felt too much like a cheap knock off. Though it did improve towards the end.

The 'bonus' is a bit misleading. All recent Showtime shows have that. I used that app when the show was originally broadcast. Might as well list the special features of being in color and having stereo/surround sound.
This show is nothing at all like the Sopranos.