'Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Default 'Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6'. This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1158...bird61968.html
Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 PM

A reason not to get this is that the films were made with plots and endings basically like the tv series. They just feel like slightly longer versions of the tv series. Throwing more money at it and making it widescreen didn't help the overall outcome, and both films were flops in the theater. Unfortunately, I bought this release for nostalgic purposes, and after watching it, I realized that it should have stayed in the past, like the old Herby/love bug films.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM

I have no nostalgia for the show. I think I caught one or two episodes about 15 years ago when it was airing on ZDTV (It may have been TechTV by that time). So I pretty much blind bought these movies. I am not disappointed, but I agree 100% with everything Josh said in his review. The movies certainly have a charm, and I love the visual style of these movies. I felt that watching this actually lead to me picking up on a few more jokes in Team America (please don't ask me to explain them, I don't think I could. But there was definately some nods in Team America to Thunderbirds).

I was so thrilled to see Josh reviewing a disc again, that I actually read every single word of the review (I normally skim them). Very well written review, Josh. It pretty much mirrors what I thought of it.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM

I am tempted to get this, since I haven't seen the TV series (and so don't haven't any preconceived bias). I like blind buying stuff that has a cult following and is somewhat unique to boot. And if Josh took the time to make a rare review then it can't be that bad.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 AM

I have the DVD version of these 2 movies. Eagerly waiting for these BluRays to arrive in my letterbox here in OZ. I love the Thunderbirds, so any improvement on Picture quality will be very welcome. They will go nicely with my Blu ray version of the complete TV series. I will forgive Josh, for referring to Cliff Richard and the Shadows, as "a real, if obscure, British group", They were probably around, from way before he was born. Not big in the USA, but that was your loss. If he lived in the UK he would know Cliff Richard is still going strong in the music Industry, and the Cliff and the Shadows Reunion Tour in 2009-10 was a sell out everywhere. I would buy Thunderbirds are Go just to have the scene they are represented in (I am obviously a biased huge Shadows Fan.) FAB Bill from OZ
Old 05-28-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned in the disc supplements, but not actually shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMHp28_cqw
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I was so thrilled to see Josh reviewing a disc again, that I actually read every single word of the review (I normally skim them). Very well written review, Josh. It pretty much mirrors what I thought of it.
Indeed. I love it when Josh reviews a disc. Well written and informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDav
I will forgive Josh, for referring to Cliff Richard and the Shadows, as "a real, if obscure, British group", They were probably around, from way before he was born. Not big in the USA, but that was your loss.
I concur. The Shadows are one of the most famous (backing) bands in the history of ever. Their 'Theme from The Deer Hunter' is a classic. And 'Apache'! Super excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIs1k8yuPU
Old 05-29-2014, 02:13 AM

No offense to the reviewer, but I have to wonder why he bothered to review these films in the first place, if he wasn't a fan of such a niche product. He also failed to mention that Thunderbirds was the exception, as far as having a one hour running time. All of Anderson's other shows were thirty minutes long and "tighter" with the action; something he thought Thunderbirds should have been. Personally I have to disagree that the show suffered from a "slackened" pace and was repetitive. The first three episodes are varied in terms of plot development and locales and action. Maybe the reviewer should re-watch the show again.

I was also born long after these shows came out and I find them a lot more entertaining than the lowest common denominator garbage that passes for entertainment with my generation of today.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmBuffMatt View Post
No offense to the reviewer, but I have to wonder why he bothered to review these films in the first place, if he wasn't a fan of such a niche product.
Not every movie can (or should) only be reviewed by a die-hard raving fan of that movie.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM

I'm not seeing a huge reason to upgrade from the 2004 DVD special edition with the cardboard cutouts, as nice as the 2 addl items would be I can't justify it.