'Lone Survivor' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM

Default 'Lone Survivor' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven has reviewed 'Lone Survivor'. He says this is a powerful and visceral tribute to our country's fallen heroes. This Blu-ray showcases a fantastic technical presentation. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1057..._survivor.html
Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Pre-ordered the Future Shop steelbook of this once I found out that Peter Berg had directed Lone Survivor. I REALLY liked The Kingdom. I'm looking forward to getting this one.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Will.....be.....MINE!! Great review Steven. Cant wait to see this one. Steelbook at Target for me.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Would this film get 4/5 if it didn't feature 'murrcan soldiers?

From what I've heard, it's a very trite offering. I'm actually very interested in the movie, but I'm not expecting much. The trailer almost made me gag because of too much Americanism.

The Kingdom was good enough, and I don't generally dislike Peter Berg (if I ever meet him, I'll thank him a thousand times for creating Friday Night Lights), but the 'MURRCA!! patriotism is sometimes ridiculous in his works of fiction. Very notably in The Kingdom. I especially recall when the Saudi soldier guy and Jamie Foxx agree on "jus' wantin' to kill" the bad guys.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post

From what I've heard, it's a very trite offering. I'm actually very interested in the movie, but I'm not expecting much. The trailer almost made me gag because of too much Americanism.

The Kingdom was good enough, and I don't generally dislike Peter Berg (if I ever meet him, I'll thank him a thousand times for creating Friday Night Lights), but the 'MURRCA!! patriotism is sometimes ridiculous in his works of fiction. Very notably in The Kingdom. I especially recall when the Saudi soldier guy and Jamie Foxx agree on "jus' wantin' to kill" the bad guys.
I think you're on shaky ground calling Steven's review score into question without yet having seen the movie yourself (apparently). Haven't seen it myself yet either.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:

This movie is about American soldiers. Patriotism is an American soldiers job. That is about as patriotic as you can get. I see you are from denmark so I wouldn't expect you to understand. It's an American thing.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:

'Murrcan...'Murrca...

Is that supposed to be clever?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure that "patriotism" is the job of American soldiers. Shoot, kill, fly,
bomb are actions that can be a job. Patriotism is a job?

In the past decade, wearing a U.S. flag pin on your suit jacket has been the
"patriotic" job that politicians do.

We should be clever enough to understand that Danish soldiers are patriotic,
too. Patriotic to Denmark. I don't think America owns the patent on patriotism.

But we certainly are #1 with wearing patriotic flag pins. We are the champions,
my friends.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM

I found all the dumb 'Merican chest bumping and down right dumb decision making too much to bear. By the time the 10th RPG hit 4 feet from the soldiers with no ill effects i checked out. I don't know How Peter Berg just keeps getting worse as a film maker. It's kind of depressing as his first few movies were pretty good.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Finally got around to watching this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I found all the dumb 'Merican chest bumping and down right dumb decision making too much to bear. By the time the 10th RPG hit 4 feet from the soldiers with no ill effects i checked out. I don't know How Peter Berg just keeps getting worse as a film maker. It's kind of depressing as his first few movies were pretty good.
It was too much to bear and I was checking out, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven's Review
With that said, the film's depiction of war isn't exactly very deep or nuanced, and there are times when the movie's sense of patriotism feels a little overbearing and superficial.
Yeah, the patriotism was overbearing and superficial. Not deep, not
nuanced.

Speaking of being nuanced. The survival in Lone Survivor was less to do
with American military superiority in technology, training, or dare I say it
the American soldier. The survival was due to Afghanistan
Spoiler
compassion. It did TAKE A VILLAGE to save the Lone Survivor. An
Afghan village, at that.

I know that the goal of the film was for me to feel for the SEALs, but I
actually felt more for the Afghan
Spoiler
villagers. They risked their lives to save a stranger. And most of the
village paid the ultimate price. And they were in their own homes, in
their own lands...

...why are we really still there? (Don't answer that; I know.)

-----

And don't hate on my post. In the special features, the Lone Survivor
himself acknowledges what I said, as why he did survive.