Star Wars - Disney planning to release original theatrical cuts on Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Star Wars - Disney planning to release original theatrical cuts on Blu-ray?

Interesting:

Quote:
Consider this a rumor but one that seems highly likely to be true. Disney and Lucasfilm, riding high on the recently commenced filming of the latest STAR WARS movie, EPISODE VII, are planning to re-release the original trilogy in their unaltered glory, according to an intercepted email. Bleeding Cool claims the email indicates a VOD and Blu-ray re-issue of the STAR WARS trilogy, not the prequels, and not including any of George Lucas' Special Edition changes.

Fans have been clamoring for an HD edition of the Original Trilogy for years. This would remove the "Noooo!" from RETURN OF THE JEDI, the changed Force Ghost of Anakin, and Greedo shooting first, then slightly second. By not making these a theatrical release, Disney is likely catering to fans of the series, the group who they most desperately needed in their favor leading to J.J. Abrams' first entry in the new trilogy.

Which brings up a second rumor. Some are theorizing that Disney may be shying away from the Prequel Trilogy to the point of considering them part of the Legends universe and not the official canon. Statements from Lucasfilm have continually stated that the six feature films are the key canon, so I would highly doubt they would separate Lucas' prequels from the official timeline. However, I would not doubt that Disney is going to do everything they can to focus on the Original Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy while ignoring the Prequels as much as they can
- See more at: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/rumo...u-ray#comments

Quote:
Here’s a kind of convoluted rumor for you to chew on as we continue to wait for no news about Star Wars: Episode VII. According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004.

The new trilogy is going to be very closely tied to the original (and not so much the prequels, if you’re reading between the lines) and will be marketed as a direct sequel to those, so this particular re-release strategy makes a certain sense.

Going forward and looking at the much bigger picture, there are more dubious rumors to consider, like Disney potentially phasing out the prequel trilogy by lumping them in with the “Legends” non-canon fodder. This has apparently been the subject of gossip near Disney, though it’s very possibly just that – gossip amongst the worker bees. Anyway, it would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new prequel movies featuring Yoda, Darth Vader, etc.

But like I said, that rumour is much more dubious. Sure, they probably don’t want people to think too closely how disappointing the last three Star Wars films were in the run up to a new release, but to erase them from canon… would be a totally different story.

For now, though, there is room to remain hopeful about a new original trilogy re-release.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...yvod-and-more/
Old 05-17-2014, 03:54 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Disney CAN'T release the original trilogy without permission or some kind of co-deal with FOX. FOX owns the rights to distribute the original movies through 2020, and they own the rights flat-out to Star Wars: A New Hope until the end of time (or until they choose to sell them).

Since FOX and DISNEY can't even agree on lending Marvel characters to each other's respective movies, it's unlikely a Star Wars deal is in the works.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:56 PM

So do you work for Fox and know this for sure? Or are you just guessing based on past history? Do you really think Fox would really pass up the opportunity to make money on Star Wars? Just because Fox may own the original means nothing if Disney licenses the unaltered versions from them. Plus, it's Disney, they can do whatever they damn well please.

BTW, Fox and Disney seem to have no problem with using both Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in their movies.

Moving past the stupidity of this argument, I would have no problem with this. I would be more than willing to double dip on a complete set for the unaltered versions. I just hope that if they do this, it includes all of the bonus features from the previous BD set and The Empire of Dreams documentary.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Disney CAN'T release the original trilogy without permission or some kind of co-deal with FOX. FOX owns the rights to distribute the original movies through 2020, and they own the rights flat-out to Star Wars: A New Hope until the end of time (or until they choose to sell them).
I think it was 2020 that Fox has the rights til. I am sure Disney could convince Fox to allow this. The same article mentions that maybe a Million dollars need be spent to redo it the way it was originally and even if Disney makes a smaller percentage, the math says they will make their money back and then some.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I think it was 2020 that Fox has the rights til. I am sure Disney could convince Fox to allow this. The same article mentions that maybe a Million dollars need be spent to redo it the way it was originally and even if Disney makes a smaller percentage, the math says they will make their money back and then some.
Also, I don't think Fox would pass up profits. Disney could license it and be stuck with all the work. Fox merely benefits from their efforts. Not exactly a bad deal. Secondly, I hope the versions they release are the "touched up" originals. The ones that were done for the THX release prior to the Special Editions. I always felt that was okay.

Anyway, exciting stuff if we can finally get the original trilogy. It would be nice to see the Prequels erased from the timeline...but I don't think that will happen. At least, not any time soon. I think the earliest we are going to hear about that is sometime after 7 releases.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM

It's nice to see Disney is even thinking about this. They are going to do more for this franchise than Lucas ever did that moron.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
It's nice to see Disney is even thinking about this. They are going to do more for this franchise than Lucas ever did that moron.
More for or more with?

I suspect the possibility of the original trilogy theatrical cuts coming to blu-ray is because someone is smart enough to see the money that could be made. Perhaps someone in management is really a fan, and personally wants to see this happen, but I'm sure it is more about money.

It is possible that in 10 years time, we may say that Disney diluted the franchise. How? I'm not sure, but it's something I could see happening.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Well, as long as it has an option for the updated soundtrack and not the original dolby stereo soundtrack, I'm all in. Hell, just give us both, and purists can't complain. I have the original laserdisc release and have had the original vhs, ced, and betas at one point or another, and the soundtrack is awful compared to the much better special edition one. I think the faces set even had a better soundtrack than the original, not sure about the definitive version.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM

What elements of the prequels are they going to erase from the timeline? That Anakin Skywalker became a Jedi under the training of Obi-Wan Kenobi but ultimately turned to the dark side? That he fathered twins? That Obi-Wan fought in the Clone Wars and that Bail Organa was a leading political figure at the time? That Anakin was a talented pilot when he was younger? That the Emperor came to power and massacred the Jedi?

The prequels told us very little that isn't already mentioned in the OT. All you have to do is not mention Padme or Jar-Jar or Dooku by name, not remove the prequels from canon. The larger events of the prequels are already canon because they came directly from the original trilogy.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM

As I remember it the news stories when Disney bought out Lucas was Fox had distribution of New hope until 2020 but the others fell to Disney much sooner. movie studios have made deals in the past to bundle related titles working with rival studios so I think FOX would be willing for one last bite at the star wars apple.

I wonder if the current Blu SW released from FOX will be collectible some day.

Re: Prequels, from the POV of Disney and their continuation it seem important to emphasize the original trilogy which was more popular and probably more involved with the new stories.

IMHO the big deal is Disney seems to be saying original cut might be possible, for 20 years we've had Lucas and co. telling us it no longer existed, despite original films existing in public archives and fans who cobbled together original cuts from existing material.