'Stalingrad' (2013) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Default 'Stalingrad' (2013) - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Stalingrad'. He's not sure the film is as strong as it could have been. The Blu-ray, however, is a stunner. With reference quality 3D and 2D video presentations, robust 5.1 DTS-HD MA sound mixes, and a hadful of extras, this is worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1155...ngrad2013.html
Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM

I did a blind buy on this, mainly because I am fascinated with all things Eastern-European, and because it was a war film, and because it was 3D. Sounded like a win. Although now that I read the review, I am not sure if the story is what I was hoping for.

I was going to watch this last night, but I am currently in Godzilla-mode after last week's releases and this week's big screen experience. I will probably watch this Friday after we see Godzilla Thursday night, and weigh in on what I think
Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Already have it on the way. Should be here on Friday... can't wait
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I did a blind buy on this, mainly because I am fascinated with all things Eastern-European, and because it was a war film, and because it was 3D. Sounded like a win. Although now that I read the review, I am not sure if the story is what I was hoping for.

I was going to watch this last night, but I am currently in Godzilla-mode after last week's releases and this week's big screen experience. I will probably watch this Friday after we see Godzilla Thursday night, and weigh in on what I think
I blind bought this as well. Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend. Palmer's review has me more at ease with this blind buy.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 PM

I saw it has an MSRP of $24.99. I suspect I'll be able to find it for $15 at some point. I do very much want to see it, but I have to budget myself (plus I have a few blind buy 3D BDs to watch).
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Redboxed the DVD version on Tuesday since I missed it in the theater and have been wanting to see it. Although I liked the movie I wish my first viewing had been in Blu-ray 3D, the DVD quality was a let down, affecting my overall judgement of the film.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM

I'm an hour into the movie. Had to take a break from the 3D for a bit. The movie is also really dark, so unless you have blackout curtains, its hard to watch in the day.

I like what I have seen so far. No, this is not the movie I was expecting, but its pretty good. The 3D is absolutely amazing. I am a bit amazed at what I am seeing in this film - no matter how bad the Germans have been, and even watching them do horrible stuff, the Russians are still unwilling to fire in many cases, because of honor and moral values about how to conduct war.

The visuals are absolutely amazing, and was not something I was expecting from a Russian film. Absolute eye candy - if you like apocolyptic eye candy.

The sound field is also really engaging. About five minutes in, I switched from the Russian native language track to the English dub. The dub is really well done, and matches really well with the rest of the sound in the movie.

The only real issue I find is, other than the fact that the Germans speak German, I haven't figured out how to distinguish between the two. I mean, when people start dying, you are like "so did another German die, or was that a Russian?". It makes some of the fighting hard to follow.

Overall, I like it. It's not the movie I was expecting at all, but its pretty darn good.