'The Monuments Men' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Default 'The Monuments Men' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Monuments Men' He says this movie is pretty disappointing. Find out why it's probably best as a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1075...ments_men.html
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM

"Now, I'll forgive the fact that Murray gets a 45, even though the world was almost exclusively using 78 rpms during the war and 45s wouldn't become popular until significantly later. What I can't excuse is the fact that the lyrics sung include 'hang a shining star upon the highest bough' words that weren't added to that tune (written by Hugh Martin) until Frank Sinatra re-recorded it in 1957. The glitch totally took me out of the movie for a few mintues, during what should have been Murray's most moving scene."

Wow! Good eye for that stuff (or ear, as it were)...I didn't know those bits of trivia so wouldn't have bothered me...but since I haven't seen the movie yet, it's gonna totally bum me out when I do!

Isn't it funny how we get distracted by things like that? Good review Shannon...looking forward to catching this movie when it comes out on HBO or something. Certainly love the cast.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 AM

So... much.... nitpicking. And over really, really pointless stuff as well that has nothing to do with actually reviewing the movie. Especially since it's over one of the more perfect scenes in the film, that has every actor involved showcasing great acting chops and giving the breathless pace a nice, quiet scene.

I loved the film, warts and all. It could have easily been another half hour longer and I wouldn't have minded one bit. Fascinating subject, great acting, terrific directing and one of the most intriguing time periods of modern history; all treated with immense respect. Great, great film.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
So... much.... nitpicking. And over really, really pointless stuff as well that has nothing to do with actually reviewing the movie. Especially since it's over one of the more perfect scenes in the film, that has every actor involved showcasing great acting chops and giving the breathless pace a nice, quiet scene.
So much nitpicking?. One paragraph of my review and only mentioned because it was such a glaring mistake that it took me out of the scene. Doubly glaring because it was Bill Murray's best scene in the movie. The flaw did not impact my star rating...the rest of the movie did. Also, pointing out problems with the film IS reviewing the movie. We'll agree to disagree, as I don't think objects and phrases that show up in a movie set during World War II that didn't exist during World War II is 'pointless'.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Wow, we just watched this last nite.....Really a Mess. The "Idea" of the movie, of finding stolen art, was far better than the actual execution of a story to film. Yes it was not horrible, and acting was decent, but other than a few scenes here and there and a good bit towards the end, it was quite literally "boring" and not very exciting to watch. We both agreed, it was quite dull and lackluster. Some things maybe do not translate to a movie as well as they sound like they would. Honestly to us, we both agreed, it would have made maybe a better one hour documentary about where they found the gold and art, and left out the drama etc.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Saw this yesterday... A solid rent, even if a little boring at times. Definitely not worth buying to me.