'I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Default 'I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed 'I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1'. He says this is a prize for anyone's collection. This high definition upgrade offers a great-looking image, satisfying audio, and plenty of extras. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10457/love_lucy_s1.html
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Wow, the first screengrab is clear enough I can see the specks and hair-like particles in the frame.
If I were a bigger fan of the series I'd probably bite at around $60.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:48 AM

Nice review. But it's not correct to say there are no HD exclusives: even if one discounts the audio commentaries because they were on LaserDisc and "The Very First Show" because it was on VHS, the costume/makeup tests have never been released on a home media format before. And none of the three were on any version of the first season DVDs.

The audio commentary over "Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Murder Her" and "The Girls Want to Go to a Nightclub" is actually a generic history of I Love Lucy, with little or no material about those particular episodes. The one on "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" is episode- and scene-specific, though. The Criterion LaserDisc also included a specific commentary on the famous candy factory episode from season two, "Job Switching;" that's planned to appear on a prospective season two Blu-ray.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 AM

Out of all of the things in the world to bring to BD, and ones that deserve to be brought to BD, they bring THIS out? O_o
Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 AM

Is the first photo of Lucy & Ricky here really a screen grab, or is it a promotional photo?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM

About time they brought this classic show to HD!

This show is like Twilight Zone for me. If there is an episode on TV I have to stop and put it on. A true classic!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Great review! I'm going to have to get this sometime.

A slight mistake in the review:

Quote:
Behind the Scenes (Audio Book Featurette) Ten audio clips from Oppenheimer's book 'Laughs, Luck...and Lucy' as read by Larry Dobkin who reads the book.
(Two reads is redundant. Maybe the author meant "wrote."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Out of all of the things in the world to bring to BD, and ones that deserve to be brought to BD, they bring THIS out? O_o
When will your war on comedy cease?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM

How do they justify this price when Little House is under $20?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
How do they justify this price when Little House is under $20?
Except for it being Paramount ... To defend some of these companies for charging $80 for an older series and $30 for a new series release. The amount of work that could have been involved to get from point A to point B. I would imagine the film for this series was not in as good a shape as was LHOP. Maybe the process itself to even read the images was quite a task. I wonder if anyone here knows someone that may have been involved with the process to get a better appreciation for the work done.
Sure this was no Star Trek TNG, requiring reassembling the entire scenes and redoing the effects from scratch.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM

The price is indeed pretty crazy, even if it needs to cost more than a modern series due to restoration costs. I'll jump in around $30.