'Mr. Peabody & Sherman - 3D' is up for pre-order - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Staff

Default 'Mr. Peabody & Sherman - 3D' is up for pre-order

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - 3D

Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I obviously will buy this, just wonder if it is prudent to order it so early on. Every so often Amazon has a price blip that drops below anything you will see on release day. You could say, order it then cancel if you don't see a good price, but that often times gets forgotten.

What is this people are saying this movie is related to Rocky & Bullwinkle? - I don't see the connection.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 AM

I'll definitely get this but only at the right price point. It looks fun, and it will bring back some nostalgic memories of when I watched this many years ago. It's too bad this was a box office failure for Dreamworks.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM

I got the 3D version of this, as a blind buy, and was pleased. The transfer is standard CGI perfection. I did get a little crosstalk here and there with the 3D, though my TV can be prone to it. However some movies that I'd expect a lot of it from, like Gravity, are almost completely crosstalk-free. I think it may have to do with CGI's tendancy to go further out of and into the scene, putting elements further apart from each other. That said, it was actually pretty minimal and only noticeable on some background objects in about 3 scenes.

As for the movie itself, I'm a big fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle and was pleased with it. Stephen Colbert as a main supporting character, and Mel Brooks as Einstein, made it even better. It isn't quite as rapid-fire as the style of the cartoon which was crammed into a few minutes, but it is full of many bad puns, as it should be. The historical periods are very storybook style as expected, though the adventure is triggered by Sherman's insistence to a classmate that George Washington chopping down the cherry tree was a myth, so it isn't spreading any major lies. While they do acknowledge that other languages exist, and a few words from them are mentioned, everyone from every region and time period speaks modern American English fluently, with no explanation for that (which didn't really bother me). There are many characters that shouldn't be able to communicate verbally that do though.

It is maybe worth getting the 3D version even if you don't care about 3D, for the exclusive Rocky and Bullwinkle short. I liked it better than the main feature. Because it was short, it could better capture the rapid-fire style of the original. It still features June Foray as Rocky, who has always done the character (and continues to voice Rocky, Granny from Looney Tunes, and other characters as she reaches her late 90s). Tom Kenny (voice of Spongebob and dozens of other toons) does a mostly perfect Bullwinkle. The Bullwinkle short will play on 2D players, while the 3D version of the feature is for 3D players only. The quality of the transfer in the Bullwinkle short was also standard CGI perfection, and the 3D version looked awesome as well.

I think the feature is good for fans of the original and newcomers and history-loving kids (or might turn some kids into history-lovers). Fans of the original will likely get a little more out of it. The Bullwinkle short would probably be more confusing than anything to someone who isn't already familiar with them, but great for fans.