'Sorcerer (Digibook)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Default 'Sorcerer (Digibook)' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed William Friedkin's 'Sorcerer'. He thinks the film's reputation will continue to improve over time as more people discover it. This new Blu-ray features exceptional video and audio. Recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3332/sorcerer.html
Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the good writeup of this forgotten 70's film. I saw it as a kid and all I remember is that it was above my head. I think I was a 13 yr old expecting 'Jaws in the Jungle' or something. I will look to pick this up or rent it since it sound like a worthwhile view and I have always liked Friedkin and Scheider.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Thanks for the good writeup of this forgotten 70's film. I saw it as a kid and all I remember is that it was above my head. I think I was a 13 yr old expecting 'Jaws in the Jungle' or something. I will look to pick this up or rent it since it sound like a worthwhile view and I have always liked Friedkin and Scheider.
SOME consider this better than the French movie.

I'll buy this when the price drops. Glad to see digibooks are still being made.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM

This is definitly not better than "Wages of Fear". It's a good movie, but not close to the french version.

And as said in the review, the title didn't help much on selling the film. It's just a terrible title for this type of movie.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 AM

I have been waiting 20 years to see this, and finally got my chance on the weekend. Must say I was a little disappointed, but expectation was high, as I am a fan both of Clouzot's original and Friedkin's 70's work.

I like the updates to the story and characters, but felt the film took a little too long to get going, and some of the editing and cutting at the climax of certain scenes was jarring. But overall, a great addition to one of my favourite era's/sub-genre's... the 70's thriller! I reckon this property is rife with potential for a grounded remake!

Also... what a fantastic transfer!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Just bought this for $15.00 on Amazon. Sweet!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:12 AM

Re-watched Friedkin's Sorcerer on Blu a while back.....Wow. What a truly beautiful & sublime movie.

First of all, this print is gorgeous...it's definitely like seeing the film for the first time. Superb PQ & color...the green forest scenery was especially vivid; even the scenes during the downpour (as the trucks were driving over the rickety bridge) were quite clear. Those who were responsible for cleaning this picture up for this Blu print deserve a medal. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite Blu's of a '70's film, and is right up there with the Taxi Driver Blu...

The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream was astounding...I like their music in anything, but it especially worked here.

Re: the inevitable comparison to Wages of Fear, I did see that film and, to be honest, it doesn't hold a candle to the brilliance of Sorcerer. I feel Friedkin's film was much more intense & well done. Though, granted, I'm biased towards '70's films anyway since it's probably my favorite decade for cinema.

I thought it was great to see the beginning sequences which explained why these four guys ended up living in a hell-hole at the end of the earth, and why they were down on their luck/desperate enough to take the extremely dangerous job of transporting dynamite. The extreme contrast between the various urban areas (New Jersey, Paris, etc.) in the beginning to a s%$&%$ in the middle of nowhere was quite pronounced. This exposition was missing from the WOF - there wasn't a back-story for the characters in that film.

Also, the ending scenes were incredible:

-Great scenery when Scheider was driving through the canyons towards the end; the purple dusk sky in the background was stunning.

The final scene of the film was truly brilliant -
Spoiler
liked the unexpected downer of having Scheider about to get away with the $, then having the taxi pull up outside of the cantina with the mob guys who were after him...after they went into the cantina you knew he was a goner (and I believe you heard a shot....)

I was also very impressed by the small HC booklet that came with the film (an excerpt from Friedkin's memoir); great insight on the making of the movie, and it was especially interesting to hear Friedkin's inspiration for the title of the film. Prior to reading this, I had no idea why a movie about a group of desperate men transporting dynamite across a jungle would be titled Sorcerer....

Didn't mind that there were no extras on this Blu; the print & film were so stellar that I honestly didn't care...

The only other time I had seen Sorcerer was the old pan & scan DVD from years ago; that print was horrible, and looked like a bad VHS rip...In any case, the PQ was so bad on that print that I actually couldn't make out most of the action, and therefore the movie didn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM

The first time I saw this was about ten years ago and it was a very badly faded print, but the movie was so incredible that it didn't matter.

The bluray looks really nice and I've watched it a couple times. Just one of the most intense films I have ever seen. I'm probably due to revisit it again soon.