'Escape from Tomorrow' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Default 'Escape from Tomorrow' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven has reviewed 'Escape from Tomorrow'. He says the film offers a twisted spin on the Disney World experience, but it's not subversive or clever enough in its execution. As for the Blu-ray, the video transfer is decent, and the audio mix is surprisingly engaging. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1159...mtomorrow.html
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM

B;ind bought this from Best Buy. Fucking idiots put a stupid sticker on the slipcover. PISSES me off.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Fucking idiots put a stupid sticker on the slipcover. PISSES me off.
I think theirs and Walmart's are about the same for trying to remove. Even a blowdryer does not seem sufficient to peel it off cleanly.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I think theirs and Walmart's are about the same for trying to remove. Even a blowdryer does not seem sufficient to peel it off cleanly.
Yah this sticker STICKS.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Yep, I blind bought this from Best Buy as well, and that sticker is TERRIBLE.

The 3-star review for the movie itself is very spot on for this film. There are some truly intriguing/bizarre/imaginative moments in this film, but it also falls flat, far too often. This could have been great, but as it stands, it plays it safe and doesn't push the envelope enough.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Just checked out the trailer for this on YouTube. Looks rather pretentious. I think I might skip this one....
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I also agree that three stars is about right. The movie had me sold during the first half, when it was a dark comedy. The second half lost me when it turned into a cross between a David Lynch film and The Prisoner TV series (although not as nearly interesting as either of those).
Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM

I agree with the three star review. I really enjoyed this movie through the first two-thirds of the movie, but man, what a horrible final act. It is almost as if the movie suddenly decided not to take itself seriously.

I am debating if I want to pick up the disc. I got it on VOD last year on release day, but I am really wanting those bonus features. Question is, do I want them enough, on a 3 star movie, to justify double-dipping?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Picked this up at Best Buy since apparently it's exclusive to them on Blu Ray until July. Did in store pick up and they put the label right on the slip cover. SMH. Luckily I was able to get all the awful stickers off with no residue.

Anyway, was a blind buy for me. I heard about it's production and like several people it lured me in. My wife and I live in California and have Disney Annual Passes so she was interested in it as well. I had also heard this would be a love it or hate it type deal.

I really enjoyed the film. Ultimately it seems like a film about the fantasies of an unhappily married father in a place designed to provide fantasies to children. My wife and I talked about the film and the symbolic elements we both caught.

As a film it felt uneven at times. The green screen was terrible, but as a whole I'm surprised the movie came out as well as it did.