'Wild At Heart' (Twilight Time) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Default 'Wild At Heart' (Twilight Time) - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed the Twilight Time release of 'Wild at Heart'. This is recommended for fans. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1157...lighttime.html
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Interesting review. I guess I am one of those who found a lot to like in this movie, while I absolutely abhore Dune (and actually prefer the Sci-Fi version to Lynch's). Oh, well, de gustibus...

But I also see there should be no compelling reason to replace my UK version with this one.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

That was not supposed to say Highly Recommended. I must have hit the wrong option in the drop-down box. It's more of a wishy-washy "Sort of Recommended," but we don't have a selection for that.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That was not supposed to say Highly Recommended. I must have hit the wrong option in the drop-down box. It's more of a wishy-washy "Sort of Recommended," but we don't have a selection for that.
I learned from Shannon in the Ride Along thread,
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...st-review.html
that the Bottomline no longer has the flexibility to be customized by the
reviewer. Sounds like you're not too happy with this new policy.

Was there a meeting? A memo? Who made this call? What was the
thinking behind changing the methodology?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM

This change was part of the site's redesign. I liked having the flexibility to fill in custom text there, but I can live with this. It's not a big deal.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Please Explain Your Comments

I haven't seen the movie, but your commentary on it says it opens with a "scene of almost stomach-churning racism". What is the basis for claiming racism? Just because a white man beats up and kills a black man? Your further comments point out that the black man was hired to kill sailor. So it sounds like it was self defense and the black man lost. Too bad, but that is not racism. If there were reasons that this was a racist act, you did not explain them anywhere in your review to give the readers an understanding of why it was racism. As it stands, it appears you are just another one of those who are eager to play the racist card for whatever mileage it may get you. I am the last person who would brush true racism under the rug or downplay the seriousness of it. But I also DESPISE those who attempt to characterize any conflict situation between Caucasians and people of other ethnic backgrounds as being "racist" when there is no racism involved.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Guy View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but your commentary on it says it opens with a "scene of almost stomach-churning racism". What is the basis for claiming racism? Just because a white man beats up and kills a black man? Your further comments point out that the black man was hired to kill sailor. So it sounds like it was self defense and the black man lost. Too bad, but that is not racism. If there were reasons that this was a racist act, you did not explain them anywhere in your review to give the readers an understanding of why it was racism. As it stands, it appears you are just another one of those who are eager to play the racist card for whatever mileage it may get you. I am the last person who would brush true racism under the rug or downplay the seriousness of it. But I also DESPISE those who attempt to characterize any conflict situation between Caucasians and people of other ethnic backgrounds as being "racist" when there is no racism involved.
Why did Lynch cast a black actor in that role, and then have his white trash hero kill him in such a brutal fashion? (The character's race is not identified in the book, but the name Bob Ray Lemon implies more white trash.) Is Sailor that savage to any of the evil white people he encounters? He's sickened when Bobby Peru dies, and calls him a "poor bastard." This from the guy who pummeled a black guy's skull into pudding.

Sailor more than a little bit overreacted to the black man pulling a knife on him. When the white punk in the club picks a fight with him later, he doesn't pull the guy's brain out through the back of his skull. He burns his hand on a cigarette, makes him apologize, and sends him on his way. Had Bob Ray Lemon been white, Sailor probably would have sufficed to push him down the stairs and kick him in the gut a few times. Instead, he repeatedly smashes his head into the floor, over and over and over again, long after Lemon is clearly dead.

Nowhere in the film is Sailor ever shown to be so violent, even when his life is in danger, than when he feels threatened by a black man. Lynch is too smart of a filmmaker to have cast a black actor in that role without realizing the message it would send to start the movie with his hero killing a black man so viciously. The question I have is what was he trying to achieve with this scene?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Boy, I don't know, Josh. I think you're reading too much into Lynch's "intention" in casting a black man in that role. Pulling a knife on someone is different than what happened in the club. Sailor obviously didn't feel threatened by the man in the club, and he (rightfully) did by the assassin. One can also say that Sailor has grown up or mellowed from his time in the joint and so is less likely to react so violently given what happened before. But that's me guessing. Either way, I think you're going overboard calling it "racism".
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Lynch didn't cast a black actor in that role by accident or coincidence. He had to know that he was being provocative starting the movie that way. But to what end?

Lynch is very conscious of opening most of his movies with images or scenes that are thematically important - the beetles burrowing beneath the lawn in Blue Velvet, the television getting smashed in Fire Walk With Me, the carnival in The Elephant Man, etc. He puts a lot of thought into how he starts his movies. So what's he trying to say here?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 AM

I don't know that he's trying to say anything with that casting. I know he's very conscious of images in the examples you mentioned. I just don't know that he was trying to give us "menacing black man" image. If so, I think it fails many (maybe most) people. I've seen the movie at least six times, and it never once occurred to me that there was supposed to be some statement in the color of the assassin. And I'm well aware of the way Lynch uses images throughout his work. Of course, you can say that my not seeing the casting as racist is my failing, but if you are so sure it is, are you then saying David Lynch is a racist? Cause I just don't see that in his work.