Disney Upcoming Release Speculations - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Disney Upcoming Release Speculations

Because we read it on the internet, it must be true right?

Anyway, I read a little bit on Mr. Bill Hunt's site about upcoming Disney titles, and he did say that we should treat it as rumor until Disney makes it official. He cited the source of the info as several Disney Wiki pages.
Summarizing here, read the wiki's for yourself. The titles and release dates follow:

Disney Diamond Edition news-
Peter Pan returns to the vault 4/30/14
Sleeping Beauty 10/7/14
101 Dalmatians 2/3/15
Aladdin 10/6/15
Pinocchio 2/2/16

Non-Diamond Edition News:
Muppets Most Wanted (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) 6/2014
Hercules 6/10/14
Tarzan Special Edition 6/10/14
A Goofy Movie & An Extremely Goofy Movie (2-Movie Collection) 6/24/14
Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Blu-ray) Summer 2014
The Black Cauldron: Special Edition 8/19/14
Bears 8/26/14
Fun and Fancy Free 9/30/14
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad 9/30/14
Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros (2-Movie Collection) 12/2/14
Make Mine Music & Melody Time (2-Movie Collection) 12/2/14
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy & Blu-ray 3D) 12/9/14

Sources: Wiki1 and Wiki2
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Why so much effort is going into Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty is beyond me when there are so many other titles we're still waiting for. I know, the new movie Malificent will be coming out and they will want to tie that one in. But Pinocchio already? Seems too early for that IMO.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Why so much effort is going into Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty is beyond me when there are so many other titles we're still waiting for. I know, the new movie Malificent will be coming out and they will want to tie that one in. But Pinocchio already? Seems too early for that IMO.
"Already" is still 2 years away, in 2016.

2 years + the 5 years since the original Platinum Edition BD was released 2009 = 7 years total between editions, which is about right. It's well within the standard double dip cycle for Disney classics on a format.

Titles are released from "the vault" every 5-8 years.

Surprised by 2016, actually. 2015 would've been a 75th anniversary, which literally is a diamond anniversary.

As for "so many other titles we're still waiting for"... examples please? All the missing live action, I assume, which Disney has always been terrible about anyway. Unless there's a known milestone anniversary, or a sequel/remake coming out, I wouldn't expect much from Disney on the live action end.

The Pollyanna, Absent Minded Professor, and Flubber discs were announced but postponed/cancelled after the (intentionally?) mediocre releases of Babes in Toyland (lossy audio), Adventures in Babysitting (DVD master, no extras), etc failed to meet bloated expectations, thus playing into Disney's hand.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 04-27-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Disney Diamond Edition news-
Peter Pan returns to the vault 4/30/14
Sleeping Beauty 10/7/14
101 Dalmations 2/3/15
Aladdin 10/6/15
Pinocchio 2/2/16

Non-Diamond Edition News:
Muppets Most Wanted (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) 6/2014
Hercules 6/10/14
Tarzan Special Edition 6/10/14
A Goofy Movie & An Extremely Goofy Movie (2-Movie Collection) 6/24/14
Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Blu-ray) Summer 2014
The Black Cauldron: Special Edition 8/19/14
Bears 8/26/14
Fun and Fancy Free 9/30/14
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad 9/30/14
Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros (2-Movie Collection) 12/2/14
Make Mine Music & Melody Time (2-Movie Collection) 12/2/14
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy & Blu-ray 3D) 12/9/14
If all these discs pan out, especially all those non-Diamond Editions, basically everything -- shorts aside -- from the classic era will be on BD. Don't expect Song of the South. Ever. For all intents and purposes, that movie doesn't exist anymore.

Heck, if that list is true, we'll have most of the theatricals, period regardless of era, on Blu-ray by the end of the year. Excluding the delayed Diamonds, and the Ducktales movie and (my favorite) The Brave Little Toaster notwithstanding, we'll have almost all of the animated films in the catalog up to the early 2000s on BD before 2014 is out.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Looking at my video "wall" I see Disney dvds and lack of blus on multiple titles.

Yes these will fill in some of the gaps, but not all.

I question how the release of Black Cauldron will turn out. Song of the South does not exist anymore, but Black Cauldron will likely be edited.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Looking at my video "wall" I see Disney dvds and lack of blus on multiple titles.

Yes these will fill in some of the gaps, but not all.

I question how the release of Black Cauldron will turn out. Song of the South does not exist anymore, but Black Cauldron will likely be edited.
I would love to see an unedited version of Black Cauldron. Fans could finally get to see the 'adult' anime it was suppose to be.. but we'll probably never see it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Glad I got my Hercules and Aladdin from the UK on that Zavvi buy one get one deal. Another year and a half for Aladdin? Sorry Disney, thats one of your better titles and you are still not putting it out. June finally for Hercules and it looks like it will be a junky release anyways, so my UK one will do just fine, those were really the only other two I cared about owning, wasnt a fan of stuff like Pocahontas, The Hunchback, Brother Bear, etc. plus a lot of those got dual releases with their crappy sequels. Emperor's New Groove is still one of my favorites and I've yet to pick up that pack yet. Older Disney animation I've never been to fond of either, I have Snow White but just dont care for it, never even saw The Black Cauldron
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Looks like Hercules on 6/10 is indeed confirmed, we have it on the release calendar.
Also Tarzan has a 3D release listed as well for 6/10.

Here, have Tarzan, a converted to 3D movie, but not Frozen.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Aladdin is out in other countries so it has to be sooner than Oct 2015.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Aladdin is out in other countries so it has to be sooner than Oct 2015.
Or not. The current "Vault" release pattern limits Diamond Editions to 2 films a year -- one release in the 1st quarter and another in Q4. The pattern is stupid... but, hey, it's Disney.

Due to potential cross promotion with Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty has taken up the Q4 slot, thus everything got pushed back.

There's also talk of a potential 3D reissue of Aladdin. Pushing the date to 2015 could give them time to remaster for 3D. If a remaster happens, the American BD will be (radically?) different from the version released overseas, with a new render-out from the CAPS source a la Beauty and the Beast.