'Son of God' is coming June 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Staff

Default 'Son of God' is coming June 3

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12030/sonofgod.html
Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Banned

Son of God is being released on the Blu-ray format June 3rd 2014. What is disappointing is Son of God is not being released as a Blu-ray only release, and instead will only be available as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack (Those families that have upgraded all their DVD players to Blu-ray players would have liked to had a Blu-ray only version of the movie instead of a combo pack). The best version of the Son of God movie is the Walmart Blu-ray/DVD combo pack that includes an exclusive Walmart Son of God book. As of 4-24-14, Walmart is offering the Son of God Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with in exclusive Son of God Walmart book for only $22.96 + sales tax and free shipping promotion for this item ($39.99 list price).

The Son of God movie is rated PG-13. The Son of God had a budget of 22 million dollars and the current box office sells are around 63 million dollars and growing. I saw the Son of God movie in a Sony SXRD 4K Digital theater and the picture quality of this movie was outstanding. Th Son of God movie is historically true and is about the life of Jesus Christ. This movie has some historical errors and uses artistic license at times. I enjoyed the classic 1979 Jesus Film on Blu-ray more since that movie is much more faithful to the history found in the Gospel of Luke. In addition, I liked the R rated Passion of the Christ movie on Blu-ray more compared to this Son of God movie. In the Passion of the Christ movie, it is more historically accurate when it comes to the beatings and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The Passion of Christ movie was also a higher budget movie that was much more popular when compared to the Son of God movie. The Passion of the Christ movie by Mel Gibson had a budget of 30 million dollars and box office sells were almost
612 million dollars.

I have ordered this Son of God movie on Blu-ray to add to my collection. Some Christian ministries were a little disappointed with this movie since it compromised the Gospel message.

“Those who see this film with their unbelieving friends need to be prepared to use the Bible to fill in the gaps in the anemic representation of the gospel and correct the many errors if they wish to use the film to make an eternal difference.”

Movie Review: Son of God
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 AM

Please let me fix up all your "yelling".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Son of God is being released on the Blu-ray format June 3rd 2014. What is disappointing is Son of God is not being released as a Blu-ray only release, and instead will only be available as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack (Those families that have upgraded all their DVD players to Blu-ray players would have liked to had a Blu-ray only version of the movie instead of a combo pack). The best version of the Son of God movie is the Walmart Blu-ray/DVD combo pack that includes an exclusive Walmart Son of God book. As of 4-24-14, Walmart is offering the Son of God Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with in exclusive Son of God Walmart book for only $22.96 + sales tax and free shipping promotion for this item ($39.99 list price).

[URL="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Son-Of-God-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-HD-Book-Walmart-Exclusive-Widescreen/36179408"]Son Of God (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD + Book) (Walmart Exclusive) (Widescreen)

The Son of God movie is rated PG-13. The Son of God had a budget of 22 million dollars and the current box office sells are around 63 million dollars and growing. I saw the Son of God movie in a Sony SXRD 4K Digital theater and the picture quality of this movie was outstanding. Th Son of God movie is historically true and is about the life of Jesus Christ. This movie has some historical errors and uses artistic license at times. I enjoyed the classic 1979 Jesus Film on Blu-ray more since that movie is much more faithful to the history found in the Gospel of Luke. In addition, I liked the R rated Passion of the Christ movie on Blu-ray more compared to this Son of God movie. In the Passion of the Christ movie, it is more historically accurate when it comes to the beatings and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The Passion of Christ movie was also a higher budget movie that was much more popular when compared to the Son of God movie. The Passion of the Christ movie by Mel Gibson had a budget of 30 million dollars and box office sells were almost
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ"]612 million dollars

I have ordered this Son of God movie on Blu-ray to add to my collection. Some Christian ministries were a little disappointed with this movie since it compromised the Gospel message.

“Those who see this film with their unbelieving friends need to be prepared to use the Bible to fill in the gaps in the anemic representation of the gospel and correct the many errors if they wish to use the film to make an eternal difference.”[URL="http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2014/03/10/review-son-of-god"]
"What is disappointing is Son of God is not being released as a Blu-ray only release, and instead will only be available as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack (Those families that have upgraded all their DVD players to Blu-ray players would have liked to had a Blu-ray only version of the movie instead of a combo pack)"

But that's a good thing, the extra DVD can be used to evangelize to
neighbors or strangers.

-----

"Th Son of God movie is historically true and is about the life of Jesus Christ. This movie has some historical errors and uses artistic license at times"

...So it's historically true, except when it isn't historically true. I get
whatyasayin'.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I saw the Son of God movie in a Sony SXRD 4K Digital theater and the picture quality of this movie was outstanding.
Really? I could tell this was shot for television. Many shots were out of focus, and much of the visual effects looked like they were rendered in SD. This will probably look fine on a home screen, but it was obvious this footage was not shot with the intent to be shown at a movie theater.

Quote:
Some Christian ministries were a little disappointed with this movie since it compromised the Gospel message.

“Those who see this film with their unbelieving friends need to be prepared to use the Bible to fill in the gaps in the anemic representation of the gospel and correct the many errors if they wish to use the film to make an eternal difference.”
Gaps? So they don't cover every single word from the four Gospels in this movie. It is far from anemic. The movie is meant to be a historically accurate overview of the life of Jesus, not be word for word as it is from the Gospels. As such, I actually found it to be one of the best Jesus films made to date. The actor playing Jesus is likable, has a personality, and doesn't treat the script like it was written by Shakespear, The screenplay is historically accurate and takes pieces out of all four Gospels. Some artistic license was taken, but this does not compromise the integrity of the scriptures.

Quote:
Th Son of God movie is historically true and is about the life of Jesus Christ. This movie has some historical errors and uses artistic license at times.
Make up your mind, is it historically true or full of historical errors?

Quote:
I enjoyed the classic 1979 Jesus Film on Blu-ray more since that movie is much more faithful to the history found in the Gospel of Luke.
This is true, but I would use either Son of God or Gospel of Matthew as an evangalism tool over The Jesus Film. The Jesus Film isn't bad, and I have it on Blu-Ray, but unless you are using one of the language translations in a foreign area, or the Children's recut of the movie, I don't think this movie has aged well. In fact, the whole first 5 minutes of the film was only added in like the last 10 or 15 years, because the film on its on did not do well to tell the need for Jesus.

As far as following the Gospel word for word, I suggest the Visual Bible series, Matthew, Gospel of John and Acts.

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Bible-3...gospel+of+john

The actors they have are also likable and relatable. And they actually have the scripture up on the screen as they are speaking it.

The Jesus Film is okay. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying its bad, but if I am looking for an evangalism tool for an American audience, I think there are better choices. The Jesus Film's translation project, though, is what makes it such a great tool.

Quote:
In addition, I liked the R rated Passion of the Christ movie on Blu-ray more compared to this Son of God movie. In the Passion of the Christ movie, it is more historically accurate when it comes to the beatings and crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
I agree 100% with this. Son of God, The Jesus Film, Gospel of John and Matthew, King of Kings and Greatest Story Ever Told all seem to make the tourture and crucifixtion too pretty. While none of these really have the time to go into the detail that Passion did, all tended to gloss over much of the suffering.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

The Son of God movie had a budget of 22 million dollars and box office sells were over 67.7 million dollars. The following is a link to the Movieguide movie review for the Son of God movie.

Very strong Christian, biblical worldview about the Gospel of Jesus Christ; no foul language; strong violence with blood includes a child dying under a tipped overcart”

Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Banned

Walmart exclusive Son of God book with Blu-ray/DVD combo pack has been delayed

I preordered the Son of God Walmart exclusive Blu-ray version that includes a book back on April 23rd 2014. However today I received an email from Walmart notifying me that the order has been delayed and they are not able to provide a revised delivery date. This exclusive Walmart Son of God Blu-ray with book was suppose to be released on June 3rd 2014, however now the release date has either been delayed or perhaps worse the exclusive Walmart item might even be canceled.

The following are select quotes from the Walmart email I received on June 3rd 2014:

Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order have been delayed.”

“We are working with our suppliers to ship these items as soon as possible, but are unable to provide a revised delivery date at this time. If for some reason we can't ship these items at all, we'll cancel the items from your order and notify you.”
Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 PM

What irked me the most about this movie is that most of it comes directly from The Bible that was made for TV not that long ago, some stuff was re-edited and I think a bit was added, but they supposedly wanted a "proper" presentation of Jesus where no one would bitch or moan about the guy they picked to play the Devil in The Bible looking like Barrack Obama and that they had some political agenda in doing so.

What I see there is a grab for more money, most of the movie was already produced and finished so I cant see them plunking down numbers when this was already displayed on people's TVs a while back. I wondered when I first watched the trailer why I recognized so much of it and then it hit me when it was over, yeah I watched all of this already on TV, no way was I going to give them money now to see a re-edited version for the theaters.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Banned

Walmart exclusive Son of God book with Blu-ray/DVD combo pack is now shipping

Late tonight on June 3rd 2014, Walmart sent out an automated email to inform me that the Son of God Blu-ray with exclusive book is in the process of being shipped. Walmart also is sorry that the pre-order is being shipped later than expected, with a new estimated arrival date of June 12th 2014.

The following are select quotes from the Walmart email I received on June 3rd 2014:

“Thanks for your recent Walmart.com order.The items shown below have shipped slightly later than expected. We're sorry for the inconvenience. The new arrival date is listed below.”

Arrives by Thu., Jun 12”
Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 AM
Banned

Son Of God Exclusive Walmart 28 page photo book Blu-ray/DVD combo pack (brief user review)

The Jesus Film and the Passion of Christ on Blu-ray are some of my favorite movies since they are more historically accurate when compared to the Son Of God Blu-ray. However, after seeing the Son Of God once in the theater and a second time on Blu-ray, the Son Of God movie is growing on me. There are so many different movies on the life of Jesus Christ with plusses and minuses for many of the Jesus movies that have been made over the decades.

The exclusive Walmart Son Of God Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with 28 page photo book is ideal for collectors. The 28 page photo book is built into the case that holds the Blu-ray and DVD. To my surprise the 480i DVD is on the very front cover when opening the special case. To access the Blu-ray disc one needs to flip past page 28 to the very back cover. Its a little disappointing that the Blu-ray is way in the back, some consumers that have Blu-ray players might stick the DVD disc in by mistake if they just grab the disc without reading the small print that says DVD.

I briefly checked out the 480i NTSC DVD version of Son Of God and discovered that the DVD uses 7.78GB out of 8.5GB on the dual layer DVD disc. The DVD version of the Son Of God has the exact same extra features as the Blu-ray version. The 480i DVD version of the Son Of God just has a lower quality picture and lower quality sound when compared to the 1080P Blu-ray version. The reason the 480i DVD version of the Son Of God is included in the Blu-ray package is because some families have not upgraded all their DVD players to Blu-ray players yet.

Video quality

This Son Of God dual layer Blu-ray disc uses a total of 45.8GB out of 50GB. The movie, all extras, and the disc main menu are all in 1080P (Everything is MPEG-4/AVC except for the main menu that uses MPEG-2). This 20th Century Fox Son Of God Blu-ray has an average MPEG-4/AVC bit rate of 29Mbps according to the Blu-ray jacket. There are many scenes in the movie that peak around the 35Mbps-38Mbps range which is very good bit rate for MPEG-4/AVC codec. While the 1080P Blu-ray picture quality did not look as good from what I remembered in a 4K SXRD commercial movie theater, the Blu-ray still appeared to have much more detail when compared to the 480i DVD version. Overall I was happy with the picture quality of the Son Of God on Blu-ray. There is also an English, Spanish, and French subtitle option.

Audio quality

The Son of God Blu-ray has an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack that is bit for bit exactly the same as the studio master soundtrack. Most of the dialogue came out of the center channel with good left and right front speaker audio and nice detailed surround sound mix at certain times during the movie. Overall, I was happy with the sound quality of this Blu-ray. In addition, English 5.1 Dolby Digital Descriptive audio, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital are other audio options located on the Blu-ray disc.

Extra features

100% of the extra features on the Son Of God Blu-ray are using 1080P resolution with the MPEG-4/AVC codec.There is no audio commentary made for the Son Of God movie, which is a little disappointing for me since I am a big fan of audio commentary tracks. The extra features are the following: Son Of God: Reborn (28 minutes and 33 seconds), From The Set: The Passion (7 minutes and 19 seconds), Son Of God: Un Reino Sin Fronteras (22 minutes and 58 seconds), Put Your Faith Into Practice: Introduce Children To A Relationship With Jesus Christ (5 minutes and 16 seconds), and the Theatrical Trailer (2 minutes and 27 seconds).

Conclusion

While the Son of God is not one of my favorite films about Jesus Christ, after seeing the movie a second time it is more enjoyable. The high bit rate dual layer disc has some beautiful 1080P quality scenes with a nice 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack. The extra features were also very enjoyable to watch. For collectors the 28 page exclusive Walmart photo book is enjoyable to flip through.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
no foul language; strong violence with blood includes a child dying under a tipped overcart
Is the Bible where we got the inane sensibility that foul language is a no-no,
but violence is A-okay?