'Crank 3D' & 'The Descent 3D'...where are they? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Default 'Crank 3D' & 'The Descent 3D'...where are they?

I'm having a hard time finding any info on these titles, like an estimated release date.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'm having a hard time finding any info on these titles, like an estimated release date.
Gamer 3D sold so poorly, Lionsgate has given up on these 3D conversions.

fitprod
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM

I didn't care for The Descent when I first got it on blu-ray. Found it pretty disappointing to be honest. Maybe I'll watch it again sometime this week and see if I like it any better after all these years.
Crank in 3D would've been kind of cool. A little strange that Lionsgate would give up on these two titles just because of how underwhelming Gamer 3D sold. I think Crank in 3D could've had decent sales.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Well, that stinks.

Gamer wasn't a very good movie in the first place, so who is shocked that it didn't sell well?

If they want their conversions to make money, then convert better movies. IMO, both The Decent and Crank are far better.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
If they want their conversions to make money, then convert better movies. IMO, both The Decent and Crank are far better.
Yeah, but neither lends itself well to 3D. The Descent is too dark, and Crank has too much handheld camerawork and frenetic editing.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, but neither lends itself well to 3D. The Descent is too dark, and Crank has too much handheld camerawork and frenetic editing.
Good point about Crank. I'm not sure The Descent couldn't work. What struck me was watching Resident Evil: Afterlife in 3D. When they are crawling underground, in the tunnels, the 3D work was very impressive. It gave a very good sense of depth and claustrophobia. Sure, that was native 3D, but I think with enough work The Descent could look pretty...um...decent.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Very true. Doesn't Lionsgate have other movies they could do in 3D? I mean, what about The Expendables movies? (I think they're Lionsgate)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Very true. Doesn't Lionsgate have other movies they could do in 3D? I mean, what about The Expendables movies? (I think they're Lionsgate)
I agree with the Expendables films and will do you one better: They should have been filmed in 3D. At minimum, Expendables 2 should have been in 3D. They saw there was solid franchise material and should have taken advantage of the new height of 3D, before 3D began to plateau out. Now, there is an upcoming spinoff, with an all-women cast called Expendabelles. Of course, 3D is optional now, but to me, it's still preferred. Hollywood knows by now that they can make a killing with European 3D audiences. So, why not give everyone an option? Running through the jungle with a 3D rig is OK, it really is. lol
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM

If Lionsgate wanted to just make money, then why not just rerelease the whole Twilight series in 3D?

Good or bad, it will sell, and fund future projects.

Or go the route of Predator and release the original Total Recall in 3D.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Oh, that was discussed during the initial filming. (It's in the supplement of one of the discs...)

Stallone shot it down.

fitprod