'Pompeii' is coming to Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D on May 20 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Default 'Pompeii' is coming to Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D on May 20

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/11863/pompeii.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/11865/pompeii3d.html
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM

I don't think I've ever seen reviews so bad for a big budget action 3D film as this one, and they want over $40 for it? I know Paul WS Anderson isn't the best director in the world, but it sounds like this may be his worst film yet. Seems like this may be a buy only when/if it gets a bargain bin price, and just for the sake of adding it to the collection.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
I I know Paul WS Anderson isn't the best director in the world, but it sounds like this may be his worst film yet.
I'm an unapologetic fan of his, and have avoided reviews of this movie on purpose. I'll blind buy the 3D BD when it's on sale upon release (like $20-$25). As long as he didn't lose his visual capabilities, it will be worth the ride at least once for me.

Hell, just last night I was rewatching Resident Evil: Retribution 3D, and loving it!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'm an unapologetic fan of his, and have avoided reviews of this movie on purpose. I'll blind buy the 3D BD when it's on sale upon release (like $20-$25). As long as he didn't lose his visual capabilities, it will be worth the ride at least once for me.

Hell, just last night I was rewatching Resident Evil: Retribution 3D, and loving it!
I'm actually a fan of his too but didn't like RE Retribution, not nearly as much as afterlife. It's hard to even beat the first RE film. Until Afterlife came out, I would have considered the first RE film to have a better soundtrack than any of them. Afterlife's soundtrack, at minimum, matches the original, whereas Extinction had a more gritty soundtrack. The Three Musketeers was great IMO. Event Horizon was great too. Pompeii will certainly have more effects than you can shake a stick at. You can see that just by watching the trailer.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM

I'm a fan of his movies so I will definitely be seeing this, but not blind buying.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
I'm actually a fan of his too but didn't like RE Retribution, not nearly as much as afterlife. It's hard to even beat the first RE film. Until Afterlife came out, I would have considered the first RE film to have a better soundtrack than any of them. Afterlife's soundtrack, at minimum, matches the original, whereas Extinction had a more gritty soundtrack. The Three Musketeers was great IMO. Event Horizon was great too. Pompeii will certainly have more effects than you can shake a stick at. You can see that just by watching the trailer.
Wait...he directed The Three Musketeers?. I've seen it posted that folks found it in stores at Walmart (3D) for $7.88 (the website still says $20). Now I have to check every local Walmart! I'm also a big fan of Event Horizon, and even like what he did with Alien Vs Predator (odds are it wasn't going to live up to what fans wanted anyway).

As for the RE movies (now you've got me started! lol)...

The first one is a great example of what W.S. Anderson can do with a pretty straight forward story. Great style, audio and visual, throughout.

The second one (Resident Evil: Apocalypse) is my least favorite. Anderson didn't write or direct that one, but was involved. Some interesting scenes, but I never liked the feel of the story. It was laying the foundation for the craziness the series would become, but it doesn't feel like the series had it's "identity" yet.

The third is probably my favorite (as a stand alone movie), even though (like the 2nd), it isn't really Anderson's. Characters are developed a bit more, Alice has her crazy powers, and the whole thing has a Mad Max feel to it. THIS movie needs a 3D conversion badly. Especially the scene with the crows.

The fourth, I agree, is the best in that it is the best distilling of Anderson's intent for the series. It's like he finally figured out the formula. It may have also helped to inspire him that it was filmed with 3D in mind.

The fifth, I think, is better than the 2nd, and perhaps more entertaining than the first on a purely visceral level, but this one more so than the others felt like a story that was written to accommodate a design decision (the return of all the actors/settings). I feel I have to reserve judgement about Anderson's decisions regarding the story until I see a 6th film, and see what direction he is heading with it.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Wait...he directed The Three Musketeers?. I've seen it posted that folks found it in stores at Walmart (3D) for $7.88 (the website still says $20). Now I have to check every local Walmart!
Yes, Three Musketeers was directed by Paul Anderson. I've said from the get-go that it's one of the most underrated action films of his. Milla is in it too, which I believe was more of a side job in-between the various RE movies she'd been working on.

As far as RE Retribution goes, the biggest turnoff for me was the changed look of Jill Valentine. If there was no other reason to like RE 2: Apocalypse, it was the introduction of Jill to the storyline. She couldn't be in Extinction because of shooting another film, which was a huge disappointment to me.

I suppose there are good parts to Retribution, not only as a throwback to the original film but also the video game, like the introduction of Ada Wong, which is who Alice was based on. Some people may consider that a double edged sword though. Ada could have gotten more screen time, but again, Milla is the star, and she's married to the writer, producer, and director. Michelle Rodriguez was pretty much made for the role of Rain as well. She pretty much plays a good 'bad chick' in just about every film she does, and her reputation in real life has pretty much been the same as the characters she plays. She's a real barroom brawler lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM

AvP is a HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. Sometimes I'll throw it in just for the background entertainment while I cook, clean or do something in my house. I really enjoyed that movie. Sanaa Lathan is always a pleasure to look at too
Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
AvP is a HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. Sometimes I'll throw it in just for the background entertainment while I cook, clean or do something in my house. I really enjoyed that movie. Sanaa Lathan is always a pleasure to look at too
Anderson has a flair for directing people leaping around a giant moving maze.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of another guilty pleasure series of mine that has yet to hit BD (Cube).
Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Weird, I always assumed you were a guy.

:P