'47 Ronin - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Default '47 Ronin - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed '47 Ronin - 3D'. He says this movie isn't as terrible as you might have imagined, but it's not a hidden gem either. This probably isn't worth adding to your collection, but it might be worth a rental. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10562/47_ronin_3d.html
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Well at least they sent the 3D version out for review this time. Already have this pre-ordered. Hara Kiri vs Ronin 47 - which one is better?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with 47 Ronin. There's nothing amazingly right with it, but if anything about it intrigues you, you might as well give it a look.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Well at least they sent the 3D version out for review this time. Already have this pre-ordered. Hara Kiri vs Ronin 47 - which one is better?
Hara-kiri

47 is pretty bad. The "big final fight" is incredibly lame and lacks any sort of emotional payoff. The whole film just runs by with little investment into anything. It struggles to give you a POV while also trying to be "cool" but it never manages to do anything with what it has. It's a boring film.

Hara-kiri might be considered boring because it focuses on the mundane tasks of life. But, by doing so it creates more emotional weight to the ending. There's a purpose to it and you eventually become aware of it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM

47 Ronin is also notorious for its Mighty Whitey implications, mostly coming out of the fact that they shoved in a white guy (albeit one with mixed ancestry) into a tale that never involved white guys as part of the team in the first place. You could replace Keanu with any number of the Asian/Asian-American actors in Hollywood and I can guarantee that this movie would play out the same way regardless, just without the implications.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM

Universal having no faith in this movie? Do you really think they should have faith in something that was over budget by $75 million and then they had to fire the director and take over the production just to ensure it was completed without spending much more?

This movie looks like utter crap and smells like utter crap. It is just another white man becomes a samurai crap shoot but does not even want to try to be remotely accurate to the source material. This movie should have been called something that ISN'T 47 Ronin.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Hara-kiri

Hara-kiri might be considered boring because it focuses on the mundane tasks of life. But, by doing so it creates more emotional weight to the ending. There's a purpose to it and you eventually become aware of it.
Well, I got it on order from Australia, the only 3D version I could find with English subtitles. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Well, I got it on order from Australia, the only 3D version I could find with English subtitles. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.
Hara-kiri is on Netflix I believe.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 AM

This movie sucked. I wanted to like the movie but wow the movie was long and boring. The CGI/3D was pretty bad, acting was so-so and lacked any real action. Go get 13 Assassins instead
Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Imagine one day when the Chinese film market is larger than the U.S. market.

China makes a film about legendary Paul Bunyan. They get the blue ox accurately
done. The film is populated with the biggest American actors they can find. But
to get that film to do better domestically (domestically in China) they cast a lead
Asian actor as Bunyan. They do put on authentic lumberjack clothes with
suspenders and his hair and beard is dyed reddish brown...

...how can the people of Japan not be insulted by this crap we pull?

May I live long enough to see the day when China makes a film about the
American Revolution and an Asian actor is crossing the Delaware.