'Elysium' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Default 'Elysium' - High-Def Digest Review

We've circled back and reviewed 'Elysium'. Shannon says film is better than a lot of critics gave it credit for last year. With 5-star video and audio, this Blu-ray is a knockout. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9850/elysium.html
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM

I wonder if you're the only person in the world that preferred this to D9.

I liked Elysium, but found it to be a bit too simple to really stick with me
Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
I wonder if you're the only person in the world that preferred this to D9.

I liked Elysium, but found it to be a bit too simple to really stick with me

Actually, I am in the same category as I never have really cared for District 9 either, especially the first 30-45 minutes with the extreme shaky cam. I also went in expecting not to like Elysium after hearing mixed reviews, but I did enjoy it. I wasn't blown away by it, but I did find it better than District 9.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM

I thought they were trying to say something about universal healthcare more than immigration, but I can see what you mean when they had to be "citizens" of Elysium. I thought this movie was awesome. I also thought District 9 was killer. Both movies had me on the edge of my seat at the theater. The action is top shelf. I have the blu ray and couldn't agree with the reviewer more about the audio and video. Both are amazing. Thanks for the review!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Disappointed big time with this movie. Found it really hard to sit through, very boring.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:13 PM

I didn't care for the beginning of D9 either but loved the movie as a whole, much more than Elysium.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic0112 View Post
I thought they were trying to say something about universal healthcare more than immigration, but I can see what you mean when they had to be "citizens" of Elysium. I thought this movie was awesome. I also thought District 9 was killer. Both movies had me on the edge of my seat at the theater. The action is top shelf. I have the blu ray and couldn't agree with the reviewer more about the audio and video. Both are amazing. Thanks for the review!
Yes, healthcare is definitely in there, as are overpopulation and environmental issues, but the immigration analogy is what grabbed me the most watching the film.

I may have to re-visit District 9 at some point. I saw it with high expectations (after all the hype) and was disappointed. Elysium, on the other hand, I went into with much lower expectations (both due to the reviews and due to the fact that I felt letdown by District 9) and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Add me to the group of people that enjoyed this more than District 9. To be honest, neither one is all that spectacular to me, but I definitely did enjoy Elysium a bit more.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 PM

I re-watched D9 last night; it had been a while and for some reason when I watched it before there were no subtitles for the "prawn" language. I suppose that I found them to be about equally enjoyable.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 PM

Saw this one in theaters. I found it to be OK. Could've been better, but was still enjoyable. Picked up the steelbook version from Future Shop the other day. I'm looking forward to watching it again. I'd say this was as good as District 9 (I'd give both a 3.5 out of 5).
One thing I find weird about both movies is that I think the director has some kind of odd enjoyment in
Spoiler
seeing people exploding
. I found way too much of that in both movies. It was overkill.