'Dio: Live In London' is coming May 13 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Default 'Dio: Live In London' is coming May 13

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1162...einlondon.html
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM

If it was "filmed", then it shouldn't need to be upconverted - or did they only do an SD master(?), which makes no sense if it was on film.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedram View Post
If it was "filmed", then it shouldn't need to be upconverted - or did they only do an SD master(?), which makes no sense if it was on film.
The cover states it's SDBlu-ray, meaning standard def.. So it may not have been upscaled to 1080p at all. It's probably a DVD master, and they didn't want to create a new HD master.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM

\m/ >_< \m/

Wait....a "SDBD", or "standard def Blu-Ray", is a real thing? Common enough to have a name for it?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
\m/ >_< \m/

Wait....a "SDBD", or "standard def Blu-Ray", is a real thing? Common enough to have a name for it?
It's fairly common on concert videos. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.77:1 aspect ratio is wrong and that it's in 4:3. That being said, SDBlu-ray would be a good option for things recorded on video tape, like old classic Doctor Who, because it'd use a lot less discs per season. I'm very surprised that Dark Shadows hasn't been given the SDBlu-ray treatment, since it's actually gotten two separate DVD releases.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
The cover states it's SDBlu-ray, meaning standard def.. So it may not have been upscaled to 1080p at all. It's probably a DVD master, and they didn't want to create a new HD master.
I thought many DVD masters were 2k/HD already, but given that this is over 20 years old, perhaps the original master was in SD resolution. If that's the case, then what's the point in making a Blu-Ray? Wouldn't your TV or BR player just do the upscaling for you anyway?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 AM

I know it just says DTS sound. Any chance they meant DTS HD?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedram View Post
I thought many DVD masters were 2k/HD already, but given that this is over 20 years old, perhaps the original master was in SD resolution. If that's the case, then what's the point in making a Blu-Ray? Wouldn't your TV or BR player just do the upscaling for you anyway?
Perhaps, like Plisken99 touched on, the audio is DTS HD. It could be that while the video recording was just "average" for the day, the audio could be top notch. Or perhaps it's room used for bonus content. Or, it's just cheaper to churn out Blu-Rays now than DVDs due to demand? A publisher may only have invested BD stamping equipment.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

There have been several low-budget horror/monster movie packs released over the past few months that say "SD Blu Ray" on the package. There are like 5-8 movies per set.

I wish the term SD were outlawed. We have 4K, HD and LD thank you. There is nothing "standard" about 480p anymore, more people have HD tvs, so to me, SD is 1080.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
There have been several low-budget horror/monster movie packs released over the past few months that say "SD Blu Ray" on the package. There are like 5-8 movies per set.

I wish the term SD were outlawed. We have 4K, HD and LD thank you. There is nothing "standard" about 480p anymore, more people have HD tvs, so to me, SD is 1080.
Well, manual transmission is often called "standard", and it hardly is anymore (at least in the United States).