'Saturn 3' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Default 'Saturn 3' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Saturn 3'. He says this largely forgotten, low-budget sci-fi thriller has some amusing moments and a lot of potential. The Blu-ray features excellent video, solid audio, and some decent extras. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9857/saturn3.html
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 PM

I have a real soft spot for Saturn 3 and can't wait to get this (Though it might be a while, finances what they are!). The set design and physical effects are brilliant, and the design of Hector is wonderfully menacing. It also has a fantastic (and sometimes quite demonic) soundtrack.

The only thing I ever felt let it down a little were the spaceship effects, which were rather poor. It felt like the budget got cut in post (and from what I've read, I think that was exactly it). It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a special edition with the space shots re-done.

I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned, but you can also see a lot of Cameron's inspiration for Aliens in this. Obviously Saturn 3 probably owes a little of its existence to Alien itself, but if you cross Alien and Saturn 3 with Starship Troopers (the book), you get Aliens lol! think about it... isolated colony(okay, 3 people and a dog) on small cut-off inhospitable moon? Check. Only ship that is a means of escape explodes just when they're planning to leave? Check. Creature/Robot tries to get at them through grated flooring? Check... ;-) I know, a lot of those sound like standard science fiction thriller ideas, but just watch the under-the-floor scene, and then convince yourself it wasn't a big influence. ;-)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Saw this when it came out in the theater. A great little movie.
The theme of man against the machine was well done in a claustrophobic atmosphere. Harvey Keitel played a very cool "evil" guy, Kirk and Farrah were great also (besides the fact that Farrah was naked for the first time ever in a movie....)
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM

It's also one of the very few 'killer robot' movies, to have an extremely good reason why the robot is evil.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The low-budget sci-fi thriller
Not exactly low budget, it cost around $10 million, more than Star Wars did three years earlier.

While inflation in the late 70s was certainly running pretty high, "low budget" suggests something like "The Humanoid" or "Starcrash".
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM

I never heard of this movie but look at that cast!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM

I agree, Lacrobat, it certainly wasn't low budget, though I do remember mention that the budget disappeared when it got to post production for various reasons. Hence some great sets and props but some seriously bad (well, mediocre) spaceship shots.