'Samson and Delilah' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Default 'Samson and Delilah' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Cecil B. DeMille's 'Samson and Delilah' He says this is still a satisfying sword-and-sandal epic. This Blu-ray features stunning video, average audio, and no bonus material. Worth a look, but newcomers should rent it first.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1046...n_delilah.html
Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 PM

I liked this movie as a kid. It's a great story.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Banned

Samson and Delilah Blu-ray (brief user review)

The true story of Samson and Delilah is very popular in the Judaism faith and the Christian faith. Located in the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) one can find the story of Samson and Delilah (Around 1,000 years before Jesus Christ appears in the flesh). The classic 1949 Cecil B. DeMille Samson and Delilah movie is based upon the historical writings found in Judges 13-16. This 1949 version of Samson and Delilah is very faithful to the historical record. This is another one of my favorite Bible movies to watch.

For many years the best version of this classic 1949 Samson and Delilah movie was only available in the United States on the Laserdisc format which dates back to the 1990ís. Not until March 12th 2013 was the Samson and Delilah movie released on the DVD format in the United States (I never bought that DVD version). Then on March 11th 2014 the Samson and Delilah movie was finally released on the Blu-ray format. Going from the Laserdisc version to the Blu-ray version is a big upgrade in picture and sound quality.

Video quality

This dual layer Blu-ray disc uses a total of 39.2GB out of 50GB. The movie, menus, and trailer all use the MPEG-4/AVC codec at 1080P quality. The 4K restoration of the film negative and the down scaling to 1080P Blu-ray looks very beautiful. This Samson and Delilah 1080P Blu-ray uses the MPEG-4/AVC codec at bit rates that average around 38Mbps for many scenes in the movie. The color quality with fine resolution detail looked just as good or better than some modern movies. I never seen this movie look so good before. Subtitle options are: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, and Portuguese.

Audio quality

The English mono 2.0 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, is a lossless soundtrack that is bit for bit exactly the same as the studio master soundtrack. I have never heard this Samson and Delilah movie sound this good before. Dialog was very easy to understand. Keep in mind this is a 1949 movie and the 2 channel lossless mono soundtrack is very limited in dynamic range when compared to modern movies. For a 1949 movie this soundtrack sounded excellent.

Audio options are lossless English mono 2.0 Dolby TrueHD, French Mono 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono 2.0 Dolby Digital, and Portuguese Mono 2.0 Dolby Digital.

Special features

The only extra features available on this Blu-ray is a theatrical trailer. The good news is the theatrical trailer is in 1080P quality using the MPEG-4/AVC codec (English 2.0 Dolby Digital).

Conclusion

Samson and Delilah is another classic historical Bible movie from Cecil B. DeMille. The Blu-ray picture and sound quality is a huge improvement when compared to the original Laserdisc version that was released back in the 1990ís. This is a must own movie for people that like to watch Cecil B. DeMille movies regarding the Bible.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Audio update/clarification to my brief user review

I re-checked my old Laserdisc version of Samson and Delilah that was released back in the 1990ís. The 1080P HD Blu-ray image is a huge improvement over the SD Laserdisc when it comes to picture quality. However, the lossless audio quality on the Blu-ray disc matches the audio quality on the Laserdisc. The Samson and Delilah Laserdisc has three audio tracks. The lossy analog left channel on the Laserdisc is the mono film soundtrack and the lossy analog right channel on the Laserdisc is the mono music only track. The main audio soundtrack on the Laserdisc is the film soundtrack in 2.0 Digital audio PCM (studio master quality). Therefore, my point is if one compares the mono 2.0 Dolby True HD lossless soundtrack on the Blu-ray, to the mono 2.0 Digital audio PCM soundtrack on the Laserdisc, the sound quality is exactly the same. With Dolby True HD either the A/V receiver or Blu-ray player unzips the lossless Dolby True HD soundtrack and converts it to the studio master PCM soundtrack. Now the Laserdisc format is limited to a maximum of 2.0 channels for studio quality PCM, where as the Blu-ray format can offer up to 7.1 PCM directly or by unzipping the lossless DTS-HD Master audio or Dolby True HD soundtracks.

Therefore, my comments above in the original brief user review should have said only the analog film sound track for the old Laserdisc version does not sound as good when compared to the lossless Blu-ray soundtrack. If one listens to the mono 2.0 PCM soundtrack on the Laserdisc itís a exact duplicate of the studio master just like the Blu-ray version.