The Beatles ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ gets 50th anniversary 4K restoration - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Default The Beatles ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ gets 50th anniversary 4K restoration

http://themusicuniverse.com/the-beat...k-restoration/

"Janus Films will release the new 4K restoration as part of its Criterion Collection on limited edition Blu-ray and DVD July 21st."
Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Certainly a must-own for me, but not day one, so will wait for the usual sale.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 PM

"The release is also set to contain a brand new true 5.1 channel music surround sound mix created from the original multi-track session reels by the son of Beatles producer Sir George Martin, Giles Martin."

Better be LOSSLESS
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
"The release is also set to contain a brand new true 5.1 channel music surround sound mix created from the original multi-track session reels by the son of Beatles producer Sir George Martin, Giles Martin."

Better be LOSSLESS
It's lossless. Both 5.1 DTS-HD MA and PCM mono.

United Kingdom l 1964 l 87 minutes l Black and White l 1.66:1 l English l Spine #711

Meet the Beatles! Just one month after they exploded onto the U.S. scene with their Ed Sullivan Show appearance, John, Paul, George, and Ringo began working on a project that would bring their revolutionary talent to the big screen. A Hard Day’s Night, in which the bandmates play slapstick versions of themselves, captured the astonishing moment when they officially became the singular, irreverent idols of their generation and changed music forever. Directed with raucous, anything-goes verve by Richard Lester and featuring a slew of iconic pop anthems, including the title track, “Can’t Buy Me Love,” “I Should Have Known Better,” and “If I Fell,” A Hard Day’s Night, which reconceived the movie musical and exerted an incalculable influence on the music video, is one of the most deliriously entertaining movies of all time.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION Disc Features:
  • New 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray (dual-format only)
  • Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew (dual-format only)
  • In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
  • You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
  • Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen, cinematographer Gilbert Taylor, and others (dual-format only)
  • New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director (dual-format only)
  • The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film(1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan (dual-format only)
  • Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing (dual-format only)
  • New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years—Volume One (dual-format only)
  • Deleted scene (dual-format only)
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton
  • More!
New cover by Rodrigo Corral
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM

PCM mono as well, EXCELLENT!

This will be a must own for me!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM

I have the Alliance release already. The PQ & AQ were okay. I'm still on the fence about this release. I'd hate to double-dip...and I know the price probably won't go below $28 due to the 'Criterion Collection' moniker attached to it. This'll be a tough buy for me. Unless the video and audio quality gets at least a 4.5 out of 5, I might just have to pass on this one....