'Saving Mr.Banks' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Default 'Saving Mr.Banks' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Saving Mr. Banks'. Here's what he thought...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10586/saving_banks.html
Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only person who doesn't really care for Colin Farrell. I'm a huge Disney fan, didn't bother to see this in the theater and it's likely a rental for us. Reading how big a role Mr. Farrell had only backs up my decision to wait.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM

By your comments in the 'American Hustle' thread I thought you were going to be giving this a lot more of a glowing review than this. I was glad to see that most of your review is a ho-hum kind of approach to it.

Although, personally I feel like this was one of the worst films of 2013. While it's a fool's errand to believe that Hollywood could actually stick to the true life story of whatever story they're telling, here it's especially bad. It's corporate revisionism. A candy-coated tale that Disney is indeed passing off as the way things went down, whether they state that or not. It's entirely disingenuous to Travers and how she really felt about the adaption. And perhaps the worst part of the movie which seems to be saying, that Travers was crazy and didn't know what was best for her own story and characters, so she needed a rich powerful man to help her realize how wrong she was.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 PM

I completely disagree with the review. Is it better than American Hustle, Frozen, or The Wolf of Wall Street? No, but it still deserved to at least be nominated as this movie was great. I'm not that big on Farrel, but he did a good job here and it was well done. The story was well told, Tom Hanks was amazing as Disney, it had great moments of comedy and drama, and even though you knew the outcome, it was getting there that made everything great. Not to mention Giammati was fantastic as well.

As for the historical sense, I have no idea how true this is, but I don't care. I don't go into a movie expecting it to be accurate, otherwise it wouldn't be a movie.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Pretty light on special features.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post
Pretty light on special features.
I don't know what it is, but we seem to be going back to 2001 when special features were very light. All of the recent hits have little to no extras on them. Frozen being a culprit is just utter bull****.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
And perhaps the worst part of the movie which seems to be saying, that Travers was crazy and didn't know what was best for her own story and characters, so she needed a rich powerful man to help her realize how wrong she was.
But she was crazy. Well, maybe not, but she certainly stood in the way of the production of an undisputed classic of musical cinema. The audience wants the movie to be made because we know it's special, so of course she is the (sympathetic) villain.

Last edited by eastx; 03-18-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
But she was crazy. Well, maybe not, but she certainly stood in the way of the production of an undisputed classic of musical cinema. The audience wants the movie to bed made because we know it's special, so of course she is the (sympathetic) villain.
And that's exactly the kind of toxic thinking that makes this movie so utterly hateful.

Travers wasn't the villain. If anything, Disney was. The man bullied her into making Mary Poppins completely different on screen and eventually cast her off the production entirely, to the point of being snarky and dismissive to her at the premiere of the movie. None of which is in the film. Travers in real life was so utterly disappointed with the final product that she made sure no future versions of the material could ever be made by Americans "like Disney."

To call her "crazy" or a villain is just showing that this revisionist and utterly dishonest tripe is doing its job, and it's really sad.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
To call her "crazy" or a villain is just showing that this revisionist and utterly dishonest tripe is doing its job, and it's really sad.
It's a well-documented fact that Travers was extremely difficult and unpleasant during her time at the Disney Studios. Besides actual accounts from people who were there like the Sherman brothers or Dick Van Dyke, there's hours of audio tape to verify that claim.

Disney was no saint but he's no saint in this film either. He's portrayed with the charm of a used car salesman, smooth and flattering but clearly with his eye firmly on closing the deal. He smokes, he drinks and he refuses to invite Travers to the premiere. And he is clearly shown blowing off Travers at the premiere when she inquires about "fixing" the film.

There are historical inaccuracies but it's foolish to imagine there wouldn't be. Walt wasn't involved after the first day because he disliked Travers that much. Travers never liked any of the songs except "Feed the Birds." Travers tears at the premiere were out of anger and frustration not an emotional release.

Yes, Travers hated the finished film. But the evidence is pretty clear that she would have hated the film no matter what Disney did. But as an aside, she watched the movie 20 years later and said that she rather liked many parts of it.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
Disney was no saint but he's no saint in this film either... He smokes, he drinks
Oh noes. What a villain.

Quote:
There are historical inaccuracies but it's foolish to imagine there wouldn't be. Walt wasn't involved after the first day because he disliked Travers that much. Travers never liked any of the songs except "Feed the Birds." Travers tears at the premiere were out of anger and frustration not an emotional release.
Which is as truthful as the film gets, except they portray Travers enjoying the film in Saving Mr. Banks.

In reality, Travers was considered a smart, charming and, yes, difficult woman - but not the shrew, neurotic and stuffy lady we see in the film. During the time of Mary Poppins she had numerous relationships and had mothered a son. It's just such a dishonest portrayal of her as an uppity, joyless and stuffy creature that rings untrue in every frame of the film.

And even the premiere scene has a tone that is shifted into making her look bad as opposed to Disney: in reality, Travers had been shocked in seeing her title on the film appear only as "consultant" in small print and in an even smaller part reading: "based on the stories by."

When she finally found Disney at the after party, she did say that the animation scene would have to go, to which she received the cold response: "Pamela, the ship has sailed," after which she returned to England.

So it's not even just a case of "not everything is exactly as it happened," it's the tonal changes to people that actually existed and portraying them in such a different light that they might as well have made this an entirely fictional story and it would have had the same results.