'American Hustle' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Default 'American Hustle' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'American Hustle'. He says this should "easily earn the enduring affection of serious film fans." The film and the Blu-ray are both highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1052...an_hustle.html
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
David has reviewed 'American Hustle'. He says this should "easily earn the enduring affection of serious film fans." The film and the Blu-ray are both highly recommended. Here's why...
The use of the word "enduring" is a good one. That's pretty much how I felt after a while watching this in the theater, that I was enduring it. I was actually excited to this movie. I really like all the primary actors: Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, etc. But I couldn't wait for this movie to be over.

I just really feel like the trailers sold this as an entirely different movie than what it actually was. I would probably have a better opinion if not for the trailers. Jennifer Lawrence's character wasn't as prominent as advertised. It wasn't the fun 70s era movie of the trailer. I enjoyed seeing a trashy version of Adams and beer gut, combover Bale but that can only carry you so far.

But I'm honestly not surprised that it got ignored by the Oscars. This was a middling film with great performances. The Academy rightly heaped awards on great films with great performances.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
The use of the word "enduring" is a good one. That's pretty much how I felt after a while watching this in the theater, that I was enduring it. I was actually excited to this movie. I really like all the primary actors: Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, etc. But I couldn't wait for this movie to be over.

I just really feel like the trailers sold this as an entirely different movie than what it actually was. I would probably have a better opinion if not for the trailers. Jennifer Lawrence's character wasn't as prominent as advertised. It wasn't the fun 70s era movie of the trailer. I enjoyed seeing a trashy version of Adams and beer gut, combover Bale but that can only carry you so far.

But I'm honestly not surprised that it got ignored by the Oscars. This was a middling film with great performances. The Academy rightly heaped awards on great films with great performances.
I try not to pay attention to trailers....but when I saw the movie in theaters I felt like I was sitting through a 4 hour movie. It was good, mind you, but it just felt REALLLLLY long.
While something like The Wolf Of Wallstreet actually had a pretty long runtime....it felt so much shorter than this one.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM

It's such a shame this movie was snubbed at every level at the Oscars as this was 2013's finest movie. Frozen was the only other movie I enjoyed as much as this last year, which is a shame because all of my initial top pics of 2013 ended up disappointing or utter crap.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:36 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I absolutely adored this movie. It's my favorite Christian Bale performance to date, and that's saying a lot. Looking forward to owning the Blu-ray.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 PM

Somewhere in this movie there is a BRILLIANT 90-105 minute film.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Very much agreed.

Jennifer Lawrence saves the movie from itself in so many ways.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 PM

I just find it fascinating to watch these characters evolve and interact. Even the deleted scenes have so much texture and nuance. I don't mind the length at all; I was actually sad to have to leave these characters at the end of the film. And when you feel like that, I think that's the sign of a great film. I felt the same way at the end of Silver Linings.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Very much agreed.

Jennifer Lawrence saves the movie from itself in so many ways.

Nope. Jennifer Lawrence was the worst part of the movie. Ill fitted for the role.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Definitely not. This was easily her best performance out of any of her movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
You could say that about any movie though. Somewhere in The Godfather is a brilliant 100 minute movie. Somewhere in The Godfather II is a brilliant 120 minute movie. Somewhere in Lawrence of Arabia is a brilliant is 110 minute movie. Somewhere in The Wolf of Wall Street is a brilliant 90 minute movie. Somewhere in Citizen Kane is a brilliant 25 minute movie.