'Somewhere in Time' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Default 'Somewhere in Time' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Somewhere in Time'. He's a big fan of this film, and he says other admirers will be quite pleased with this release. Featuring a wonderful, never-before-released-on-video transfer of the film, along with solid 2.0 lossless track, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1051...here_time.html
Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM

"Let me set the scene for you. I'm a young teenager in the mid-1980s with nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon but flip through the channels on TV (pre-cable, so my options were limited). This was back in the day when your local TV station would still run movies instead of sports or news on a Saturday, and I came across this little film starring the guy who I only knew then as 'Superman'. Intrigued, I sat down on the couch and watched it."

WOW sounds like me-

I saw this movie years ago on a random day at home. Never heard about it but I was intrigued to see Reeve and Jane Seymour, two actors I like. Always had the hots for Jane, she is elegant, classy, and sexy.
Anyways, I liked the movie a lot. I don't remember exactly why it worked, probably because both are great actors.

Shannon I'm with on this review, I loved this movie. I may blind buy this.

Tell me about the video. I do NOT mind grain at all. I do mind debris and flecks. If the latter is somewhat minimal then I'll be happy

I don't understand your audio score. You praised the audio but only gave it 3.5? Still a decent score.

I can't wait to watch it again.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Great writeup Shannon. Glad to see there are others that appreciate this film as it also had a big impact on me. On previous releases, the video was pretty poor so it will be great to see this upgrade(blu-ray is on the way).

I grew up going to Mackinac Island where it was filmed nearly every year so this just made the impact even greater. You can visit all the spots on the island where memorable scenes took place that are now marked on the Mackinac tourist map.

I had a friend who worked on the island the summer it was being filmed and told a great story. The small island theater was showing Superman and the sound went out in the showing. Reeves was in the theater and stood up and started to do the missing dialog.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I don't understand your audio score. You praised the audio but only gave it 3.5? Still a decent score.
I'm always wary about giving mono tracks particularly high scores just because of their limitations (I don't think I've ever ranked a mono track as a '5') - but you'll be happy with it. The movie sounds better than any previous version, thanks to the losslessness of this track.

There is a good deal of debris on the print IF you're looking for it, but this is the cleanest print I've seen of the movie...it's not to the point of distraction - I actually noticed it more when working on picking out some screenshots than I did when I was watching the actual movie. If you have a TV of 50" or less, it shouldn't be an issue...hope that's helpful.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Great writeup Shannon. Glad to see there are others that appreciate this film as it also had a big impact on me. On previous releases, the video was pretty poor so it will be great to see this upgrade(blu-ray is on the way).
Me too! I didn't think many people even knew of this film.
I never even saw it on DVD so I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
I grew up going to Mackinac Island where it was filmed nearly every year so this just made the impact even greater. You can visit all the spots on the island where memorable scenes took place that are now marked on the Mackinac tourist map.

I had a friend who worked on the island the summer it was being filmed and told a great story. The small island theater was showing Superman and the sound went out in the showing. Reeves was in the theater and stood up and started to do the missing dialog.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I'm always wary about giving mono tracks particularly high scores just because of their limitations (I don't think I've ever ranked a mono track as a '5') - but you'll be happy with it. The movie sounds better than any previous version, thanks to the losslessness of this track.
That makes sense, thank you for the clarification.

Always a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
There is a good deal of debris on the print IF you're looking for it, but this is the cleanest print I've seen of the movie...it's not to the point of distraction - I actually noticed it more when working on picking out some screenshots than I did when I was watching the actual movie. If you have a TV of 50" or less, it shouldn't be an issue...hope that's helpful.
I have a 52"
I'm sure I'll be fine. Seeing Jane in HD will make up for the debris
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM

I've been waiting years for the blu ray to replace the poor quality DVD that I own. When I saw a thread called "blu ray wish list", this was the exact film I brought up. It's also one of my favorites and my wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel last fall to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Looking forward to picking this up.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM

I've always had a soft spot for this film, particularly John Barry's score and the fact that this movie proved that Christopher Reeve could act and was not a flash in the pan as Superman. I live in Los Angeles but my son is a Ph.D student at Michigan State. When we visit him this summer, we plan to go to Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel.

One curious note. I have always wondered about the career trajectory of the Director of this film, Jeannot Szwarc. Largely a director in epsiodic TV, before Somewhere in Time, he had directed the film Jaws 2. "Somewhere" was a box office failure in the U.S. and after a couple of other uneventful films in the 1980's (including ironically, the ill-fated Supergirl), Szwarc returned to episodic TV where he still works today. Even with "Somewhere" achieving the sort of iconic cult status it has today, Szwarc, as prolific as he has been in episodic TV, never returned to directing feature films.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
One curious note. I have always wondered about the career trajectory of the Director of this film, Jeannot Szwarc. Largely a director in epsiodic TV, before Somewhere in Time, he had directed the film Jaws 2. "Somewhere" was a box office failure in the U.S. and after a couple of other uneventful films in the 1980's (including ironically, the ill-fated Supergirl), Szwarc returned to episodic TV where he still works today. Even with "Somewhere" achieving the sort of iconic cult status it has today, Szwarc, as prolific as he has been in episodic TV, never returned to directing feature films.
I spotted his name in the credits of an episode of Almost Human recently. It was not a good episode.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I spotted his name in the credits of an episode of Almost Human recently. It was not a good episode.
I know he did a lot of episodes of SMALLVILLE...you could always tell his shows because he'd have the female leads dress pretty slutty. Not sure if that's something he'd want recognized, but it was true.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I'm sure I'll be fine. Seeing Jane in HD will make up for the debris
You're not kidding. Seeing her in things recently she still looks amazing .. at 60-something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
I've always had a soft spot for this film, particularly John Barry's score...
Absolutely. I have always felt that this was Barry's best work and I like many of his scores (Dances with Wolves being my other pick.)