'The Grandmaster' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM

Default 'The Grandmaster' - High-Def Digest Review

Kevin has reviewed 'The Grandmaster'. He says this is worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10071/grandmaster.html
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Administrator

This is the worst movie I've seen in the last ten years. It looked terrible, the whole movie was in slow-motion, and it had some of the worst fight scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

My Best,
Bryan Kluger
www.boomstickcomics.com
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanKluger View Post
This is the worst movie I've seen in the last ten years. It looked terrible, the whole movie was in slow-motion, and it had some of the worst fight scenes I've ever seen in a movie.
Did you see the original cut? Would that have been the worst movie you've
seen in the last 15 years, then?

"Worst fight scenes ever"? From Woo-Ping?! Talk about mixed reactions.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Dolby invited me to see this in ATMOS just before the American release. Loved the visuals and the sound; hoping to someday see/hear the original cut, which I think is also 7.1. May have to import it.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM

I'm sorry if I misunderstand the review, but does this version of the film have the original Chinese edit? If not, will the original Chinese edit see a US bluray release? If not, where can I get it then? Thanks so much, and solid review otherwise!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvados View Post
I'm sorry if I misunderstand the review, but does this version of the film have the original Chinese edit?
Nope.

Quote:
If not, will the original Chinese edit see a US bluray release?
Who knows?

Quote:
If not, where can I get it then? Thanks so much, and solid review otherwise!
Yesasia.com is a popular site.
http://www.yesasia.com/us/search/gra...u-en/list.html
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Thanks Tim!

Is the Chinese all region bluray any good though? Worth the money? Good audio/video? Also, does it come with English subtitles? The website says it does but I want to be sure, the customer score is only 2/5 stars for the Chinese bluray.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

The Chinese Blu-ray is reported to be very poor quality. Unfortunately, there's aren't many good options for this movie.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the quick reply.

If it's of poor quality, that really sucks. Is the Chinese version released on Bluray elsewhere? Perhaps in Europe?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanKluger View Post
You're not aware of the Wong Kar-Wai painstakingly hiring the authetic martial artists of every form used in the movie, having each actor/actress train many months. Wong could have taken the easy way by using some kung-fu choreographer and be done with it. But he didn't. Tony Leung (playing Ip Man) was actually injured in the training. Wong wanted this movie to be as authentic of kung-fu as possible. In that aspect this movie is ranked higher in terms of kung-fu authenticiy than any Ip Man movies ever produced. If you ask me the fight scenes were much better than any Ip Man movies.

However, I was a bit disappointed with the fact that every character in the movie (except Ip Man) was completely made up but Wong listed some date which confused people into thinking those events were real. I'm very confused why Wong did that. Originally he was complaining how Ip Man 1 and 2 were so fake and the stories never happened. You can google for his interview on making Grandmaster. But his movie was entirely made up as well which was rather ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The Chinese Blu-ray is reported to be very poor quality. Unfortunately, there's aren't many good options for this movie.
Thanks for the info. I guess I have no choice but to buy the Chinese Blu-ray. Hopefully they don't cost a lot because I could have had the American version for 15 bucks.

Quote:
If it's of poor quality, that really sucks. Is the Chinese version released on Bluray elsewhere? Perhaps in Europe?
Why would that matter? It's still going to be of poor quality if released in Europe.