'Garden State' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Default 'Garden State' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke is a big 'Garden State' fan. He's just reviewed the Blu-ray, and he's thrilled with it. Recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10563/gardenstate.html
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 PM

"Undying love for 'Scrubs'"?? Really? One of the worst sitcoms ever. Liked "Garden State" when it was released 10-years ago, but it's certainly no classic - 3 stars at best. Take off your Zac Braff love-glasses and write a real review.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM

There are very few films I hate. Almost none, actually. Except this one.

I hate this pretentious, art school drop out vanity project with a fire of a thousand suns. I hate the film school 101 directing, the atrocious manic pixie girl stereotype, the clumsily manipulative indie score.

Everything is amplified with Braff essentially remaking this film over and over again with his later projects, only to then scam kickstarter to fund more vanity fair about himself.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
There are very few films I hate. Almost none, actually. Except this one.

I hate this pretentious, art school drop out vanity project with a fire of a thousand suns. I hate the film school 101 directing, the atrocious manic pixie girl stereotype, the clumsily manipulative indie score.

Everything is amplified with Braff essentially remaking this film over and over again with his later projects, only to then scam kickstarter to fund more vanity fair about himself.
I'm not surprised to see negative opinions because I remember hearing them when the film came out. If it was made now, it would definitely be called a "hipster" movie. But you can't blame Braff's big screen failures on him because he didn't write or direct those movies. He simply starred in The Last Kiss (which is an awful movie). And although The Ex completely tanked, I thought it was hilarious - but mostly due to Jason Bateman's douchebag character.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Hater gonna hate

Why all the hate? This movie is fucking awesome. It never gets old. Garden State never takes itself too seriously. It's light hearted, fun and funny. I feel like I have to watch the whole thing until it's over with any time it's on. We picked up the Blu Ray which looks really nice. One of my favorites.

Also Scrubs isn't my favorite show, but it's pretty damn funny.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
To be fair, outside of anime, this was one of the first movies to use the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. It wasn't a stereotype at the time the movie was made.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
To be fair, outside of anime, this was one of the first movies to use the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. It wasn't a stereotype at the time the movie was made.
Then for creating it, I dislike this film even more. Poor Natalie Portman, this and the Star Wars prequels in such a short timespan
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM

I remember almost nothing about this movie, other than I hated the ending. Why? I cannot say/remember, but there's my $0.02.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Great movie!

I really loved this movie. My husband wants to get it now that it is out on blu-ray. Everyone may not like it, but it was not made for everyone as many movies are today.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Currently, $8 at Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/garden-s...disc/5113136.p

In-store, I found it in the round clearance bins.