Some questions regarding Disney's Studio Ghibli BDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Some questions regarding Disney's Studio Ghibli BDs

I have a couple of questions regarding Disney's Studio Ghibli BDs. Some of them are more cosmetic than anything else.

1. Why is Howl and Totoro the only movies to just have a plain blue disc instead of artwork like every other movie released does?

2. Was there any reason as to why the packaging for Poppy Hill does not match every other release?

3. I read somewhere that one or two of the movies are missing subtitles for several lines of dialog. Is there any truth to this?

4. Have they made any announcements yet regarding Spirited Away, Mononoke, and The Cat Returns?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
1. Why is Howl and Totoro the only movies to just have a plain blue disc instead of artwork like every other movie released does?
Howl and Totoro were released the same day, May 2013, after Disney started using the generic blue discs on all their releases. The other films, before.

Quote:
2. Was there any reason as to why the packaging for Poppy Hill does not match every other release?
From Up On Poppy Hill is not Disney. G-Kids and New Video/Cinedigm released the film on Blu-ray in the US. Disney did not want it.

Quote:
3. I read somewhere that one or two of the movies are missing subtitles for several lines of dialog. Is there any truth to this?
I have not heard about this. I'm also curious. Which movies?

Quote:
4. Have they made any announcements yet regarding Spirited Away, Mononoke, and The Cat Returns?
At least in regards to the US the answers are as follows: no, no, and no.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 AM

I thought Disney owned and released everything from Ghibli since they own the studio now?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Disney didn't release Grave of the Fireflies either.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Grave of the Fireflies was licensed PRE-Disney deal. After the Disney deal Central Park Media was able to retain the License. I have been out of the loop anime wise but now that CPM is defunct it seems Sentai Filmworks assumed control of assets for CPM. This would include Grave of the Fireflies until the license expires. Once the license expires it is up to Ghibli/Disney to decide whether they would like to continue to license it to Sentai or take back control of the title. I remember in the past that Ghibli had no problems with the US Version of the film so IF Ghibli feels that they would be better served reclaiming the title and re-releasing it themselves that could happen but I don't see it happening. I think the focus is more on current titles with the occasional back catalog.

A similar situation can be seen when FOX had the rights to Totoro. It took a while for Totoro to get a re-release because Disney had to wait for the license to expire and then subsequently reclaim the title for a re-release.

*All this is from memory so my info may be slightly off but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Last edited by Ohgami; 03-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I thought Disney owned and released everything from Ghibli since they own the studio now?
They will, it's just a timing issue. I'm fairly certain we'll get another wave of releases time with The Wind Rises.

fitprod
Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
They will, it's just a timing issue
Ouch! This makes me sick to my stomach that Disney will own them.

Will Ghibli at least have creative control to not allow any editing of their films?

Is Studio Ghibli having financial issues?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM

They don't own the studio. Disney simply has the international distribution rights for Ghibli's films.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Disney simply continues to distribute their films outside of Japan as they have for many years. The "purchase" of the studio was just an April Fool's joke from last year.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless View Post
Ouch! This makes me sick to my stomach that Disney will own them.

Will Ghibli at least have creative control to not allow any editing of their films?

Is Studio Ghibli having financial issues?
No... It's just a timing issue, marketing wise. We'll see another wave when The Wind Rises is due on disc in the US.

fitprod