'Blue Is the Warmest Color' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Default 'Blue Is the Warmest Color' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Blue Is the Warmest Color'. He says this is a great film. This disc features stellar video and audio, but nothing in the way of bonus features. Lightly recommended, due to the lack of extras.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10311/blue_warmest.html
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

Criterion has been very forthcoming about their plans for Blue Is the Warmest Color, and that this barebones disc is merely a stopgap until the extras-laden Extended Director's Cut is ready.

Although it's been granted a spine number, this isn't a traditional CC release. The company is acting as home video distributor for IFC, who has rights to this film in the US and wanted a DVD and Blu out during awards season. The unusually low MSRP ($24.95 for BD; $19.95 DVD) reflects this.

It's very similar, although slightly different, to how CC handled The Life Aquatic for Disney/Buena Vista back in 2005 (which was given a single and 2 disc release at the same time, both from CC with no edition from Disney themselves).
Old 02-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Interested in this one, but the 3 hour run time is a real turn off for a movie of this nature....I only have so much free time each week.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Just ordered this today via Criterion's 24-hour flash sale (50% off). I figure if I like the movie enough, I can update to the special edition if/when it comes out. Paid $12.47 for it.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
Interested in this one, but the 3 hour run time is a real turn off for a movie of this nature....I only have so much free time each week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Criterion has been very forthcoming about their plans for Blue Is the Warmest Color, and that this barebones disc is merely a stopgap until the extras-laden Extended Director's Cut is ready.

How long is the Extended Director's Cut?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
How long is the Extended Director's Cut?
According to some interviews with the director (who sounds a bit insane, and actually might be if other stories about him are true), he removed about 40 minutes of material for the general release that he'd like to put back in his "final cut" on video.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post

Although it's been granted a spine number, this isn't a traditional CC release. The company is acting as home video distributor for IFC, who has rights to this film in the US and wanted a DVD and Blu out during awards season. The unusually low MSRP ($24.95 for BD; $19.95 DVD) reflects this.

It's very similar, although slightly different, to how CC handled The Life Aquatic for Disney/Buena Vista back in 2005 (which was given a single and 2 disc release at the same time, both from CC with no edition from Disney themselves).
CC did this with Benjamin Button as well right, acting as home video distributor for the studio (not nerfing the release)? I remember Criterion's release was in normal BR packaging with a slipcase, not Criterion's usual cases.

Last edited by ZebraMajor; 02-25-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post
CC did this with Benjamin Button as well right, acting as home video distributor for the studio (not nerfing the release)? I remember Criterion's release was in normal BR packaging with a slipcase, not Criterion's usual cases.
Benjamin Button is perhaps the weirdest deal in the "Collection". It's a Criterion in name only. The entire release was prepped by David Prior, approved by David Fincher, pressed, printed and packaged by Paramount. Paramount licensed the CC name (and their menu authoring system).
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Just ordered this today via Criterion's 24-hour flash sale (50% off). I figure if I like the movie enough, I can update to the special edition if/when it comes out. Paid $12.47 for it.
Please tell me more. Criterion's flash sale? How do I access this? Is it still in progress?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Please tell me more. Criterion's flash sale? How do I access this? Is it still in progress?
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...-off-sale.html