'Oldboy (2013)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Default 'Oldboy (2013)' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Spike Lee's 'Oldboy (2013)'. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10643/oldboy_2013.html
Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 AM

This friends, is an abomination.

I KNOW this site is filled with the diehard of the diehard movie fans. I KNOW you people want good movies to be made. So I implore you, DO NOT buy this, or movies like it. Do not support remakes of classics like Robocop, Total Recall, Oldboy, etc. If you are a completionist to a fault, buy it used. At least that way the studio is not encouraged to do this again. It's time to start sending a message.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post

I KNOW this site is filled with the diehard of the diehard movie fans. I KNOW you people want good movies to be made. So I implore you, DO NOT buy this, or movies like it. Do not support remakes of classics like Robocop, Total Recall, Oldboy, etc. If you are a completionist to a fault, buy it used. At least that way the studio is not encouraged to do this again. It's time to start sending a message.
There are some good remakes. I can't think of any recently...but they exist.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post

Robocop was a fantastic remake. It took the basic stuff from the original and built something that looked and sounded like the present - as a remake should. It dealt with completely different topics and presented an entirely different take on Murphy. It wasn't altogether succesfull and you could tell exactly where the studio had taken over, but even as a partial misfire it's miles better than, say, any of the Robocop sequels.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 AM

I would sit through a longer Director's Cut to see if that was any good. But otherwise, pass.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM

I love the original, I didn't think this was bad, it's not as good because they carbon copied a lot of stuff straight from the original, the hammer sequence I would have thought was awesome had I not already seen the exact same fight years ago

Brolin and Copely were pretty good in this
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
I love the original, I didn't think this was bad, it's not as good because they carbon copied a lot of stuff straight from the original, the hammer sequence I would have thought was awesome had I not already seen the exact same fight years ago

Brolin and Copely were pretty good in this
Brolin was decent, Copley though...man, he was not good in this.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
Brolin was decent, Copley though...man, he was not good in this.

one thing that really bugged me though

Spoiler
the biggest fuck up i'd say was the fact that the love between joe and his daughter is completely left up to chance, no hypnotizing or any of that shit

Last edited by nmcmahan52; 02-27-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireseal859 View Post
I would sit through a longer Director's Cut to see if that was any good. But otherwise, pass.
Based on the review, I too would like to see the longer cut that Lee originally wanted. Otherwise, I'll be waiting until it's on Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
Robocop was a fantastic remake. It took the basic stuff from the original and built something that looked and sounded like the present - as a remake should. It dealt with completely different topics and presented an entirely different take on Murphy. It wasn't altogether succesfull and you could tell exactly where the studio had taken over, but even as a partial misfire it's miles better than, say, any of the Robocop sequels.
THANK YOU!!! Somebody else loves it as well. We must be the only ones. Okay, back on topic... I guess I will have to watch the new Oldboy once. I mean look at all the ingredients: Lee, Brolin, Copley, Jackson! So much talent, aaaaaand it's gonna suck.