'Thief' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM

Default 'Thief' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed the Criterion release of Michael Mann's 'Thief'. He says the film was and is an outstanding directorial debut This is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10206/thief_1981.html
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57 AM

I will be picking this up for sure!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM
HDD Contributor

that's a wise decision, ed
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 AM

What's with Criterion and all the cardboard box cases now?!

My flash sale blu rays came in and quite a few are boxes not cases. I don't like that!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
What's with Criterion and all the cardboard box cases now?!

My flash sale blu rays came in and quite a few are boxes not cases. I don't like that!
They do it whenever their are more than 2 discs in the SKU because they don't have any 3+ disc cases developed for their use yet (although I just read this will soon change because their vendor has developed such a case recently). Obviously due to the decision to issue dual format releases and often the DVD requires 2 discs because it can't hold as many extras as a BD.

Personally I really like the digipaks. It breaks up the monotony of plastic cases and I think variety in form factor is appealing on my shelf as well.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
They do it whenever their are more than 2 discs in the SKU because they don't have any 3+ disc cases developed for their use yet (although I just read this will soon change because their vendor has developed such a case recently). Obviously due to the decision to issue dual format releases and often the DVD requires 2 discs because it can't hold as many extras as a BD.

Personally I really like the digipaks. It breaks up the monotony of plastic cases and I think variety in form factor is appealing on my shelf as well.
Somehow for some unknown reason Scanners ended up in cardboard anyway.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM

It's been a few months since I've sat down and watched one of my Criterion blind buys. With the snow day yesterday, it felt like the perfect time.

I put in 'Thief', which twice prior I started watching but was unable to finish. The first time I was just too tired for it's pacing, the second time the person I was watching with was too tired and fell asleep. Got about 45 minutes into it (the diner scene between Caan & Weld).

Never a good sign. But, I saw it was a great film that I just wasn't in the right groove for.

So I watched it yesterday, and boy am I glad I did! Excellent movie.

The cinematography is beautiful, especially the use of out-of-focus light in the backgrounds. You can see the foundation for 'Heat', and also an influence on 'Goodfellas'. Lastly, one of my favorite aspects is seeing what a big influence it was on 'Drive'.

Great story as well. A movie I can see putting in on a rainy day and really enjoying those 2+ hours just as much (if not more) the next time around.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:04 PM

Oh man, I completely forgot Thief got the Criterion treatment. I love this movie. Just ordered.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
Oh man, I completely forgot Thief got the Criterion treatment. I love this movie. Just ordered.
When was the last time you saw it?
The way they break in feels a little dated but otherwise this is still a great classic. I love this movie as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
When was the last time you saw it?
The way they break in feels a little dated but otherwise this is still a great classic. I love this movie as well.
It's better than most modern movies that deal with security systems.

Let me just hack into everything with my tablet...