Oblivion - Blu Ray DTS vs Atmos - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Default Oblivion - Blu Ray DTS vs Atmos

Hey,

I'd like to ask those of you that watched the Atmos version in the theatres and bought the blu ray..

Is it just me or did they change the sound of pods firing?

I was under the distinct impression that the weapons firing in the atmos version was very mechanical and had a very strong oomph to it. It sounded more like a kinetic weapon.

The blu ray version though, it just felt like another 'pew pew' sound effect, weak and distant.

I know the atmos version is supposed to be much better of course, but I thought it was the same sounds, just better, not a totally different version of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowoflight View Post
Hey,

I'd like to ask those of you that watched the Atmos version in the theatres and bought the blu ray..

Is it just me or did they change the sound of pods firing?

I was under the distinct impression that the weapons firing in the atmos version was very mechanical and had a very strong oomph to it. It sounded more like a kinetic weapon.

The blu ray version though, it just felt like another 'pew pew' sound effect, weak and distant.

I know the atmos version is supposed to be much better of course, but I thought it was the same sounds, just better, not a totally different version of it.
How low does your subwoofer go?

I brought this up somewhat in the review I mentioned the bass wasn't that great until the reviewer, maybe Aaron(?) told me this disc the bass gets really low and it's best heard on a quality sub that gets that low.

That could be why you aren't hearing the oooph.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
How low does your subwoofer go?

I brought this up somewhat in the review I mentioned the bass wasn't that great until the reviewer, maybe Aaron(?) told me this disc the bass gets really low and it's best heard on a quality sub that gets that low.

That could be why you aren't hearing the oooph.
Ah, I was reading your posts on that thread.

Just did a test on audiocheck.net. I could only start feeling/hearing at 30hz, so I guess that's as low as it goes..

Kinda expected I guess, I'm just watching this on my computer speakers, which are good but not great. Gonna get new speakers for my computer and another dedicated blu ray home theatre system. Still not in the market for a dedicated receiver though.

Does that mean I'll never be able to fully enjoy this blu ray? =(
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowoflight View Post
Kinda expected I guess, I'm just watching this on my computer speakers, which are good but not great. Gonna get new speakers for my computer and another dedicated blu ray home theatre system. Still not in the market for a dedicated receiver though.

Does that mean I'll never be able to fully enjoy this blu ray? =(
I don't think you can fully enjoy any Blu-ray through computer speakers, IMO.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Practically no consumer level sub goes below 18hz, but the majority are somewhere between 20 and 25hz. Just about the only way you'll get down to 0hz or so, you'll have to have a $25,000 rotary subwoofer installation. Some of the bass shakers out there claim between 5hz and 17hz, but many people say they bottom out before they effectively reproduce those frequencies. There are a few people who build speaker systems and tune speaker boxes, some claiming to go down to like 5hz, but if you look at some of these, they could basically take up whole rooms and probably cost a small fortune. At 20hz and below, humans usually can't even hear. So, everything below is felt.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Practically no consumer level sub goes below 18hz, but the majority are somewhere between 20 and 25hz. Just about the only way you'll get down to 0hz or so, you'll have to have a $25,000 rotary subwoofer installation. Some of the bass shakers out there claim between 5hz and 17hz, but many people say they bottom out before they effectively reproduce those frequencies. There are a few people who build speaker systems and tune speaker boxes, some claiming to go down to like 5hz, but if you look at some of these, they could basically take up whole rooms and probably cost a small fortune. At 20hz and below, humans usually can't even hear. So, everything below is felt.
Yes, well when I meant low I do mean FEEL rather than hear.

But I recall the Oblivion bass notes get pretty low - too lazy to go back to that threat and look it up.

Josh is right, you can't watch a blu ray on computer speakers and except incredible 5.1 sound with great bass.

I'm dying for a new subwoofer that gets down, but I have no idea. I need to do some research.

I may post in one of our hardware threads here.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM

As others are hinting, computer speakers are not the best method for listening to such an excellent lossless soundtrack as Oblivion's. Majority of such speakers, especially when they only come with 2.5" - 3" drivers, can't really do below 120Hz, which is where most of the bass content occurs. Even if you buy a system with a subwoofer, which are at most 6.5" drivers, the best you might get out of them is between 70-80Hz, maybe down to 60Hz on a good day. Despite what the manufacture claims, such small drivers can't be pushed hard.

'Oblivion' has bass content as low as 5Hz with a good majority happening between 20-30Hz, as far as I've measured on the Blu-ray disc. The movie really demands for a good quality subwoofer.

"Drone Shoots at Scabs inside NY Library" (00:19:35 - 00:20:15)
Spoiler
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Or you can build your own sub for about a grand that'll dig down to 15hz, easily.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Or you can build your own sub for about a grand that'll dig down to 15hz, easily.
LOL too expensive and we aren't hand like you Favelle
Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM

I can't pretend to have the biggest or most expensive subwoofer, but my sub claims to go down to 35 Hz, and I both heard and felt enormous bass from this Blu-ray, especially when the drones fired their weapons.