'Alexander: The Ultimate Cut' is up for preorder - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Default 'Alexander: The Ultimate Cut' is up for preorder

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1078..._ultimate.html
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Yet ANOTHER release for Alexander.... However, I am a fan of the movie(s). Nice to see that the theatrical cut is going to be a part of this release. I'll definitely get this when the price is right.

I do hope this is the last time Warner releases this movie on blu-ray though. They still have a big catalogue of movies I want to see make its way to blu-ray for the first time.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM

They just don't get that this movie sucks do they? The theatrical cut was terrible. The Director's Cut was worse. And the Ultimate Cut made the DC look amazing. No matter how you slice it, this movie is bad. It does nothing to show what made Alexander so great. The cast is horribly miscast. They might as well have called this movie Brokeback Macedonian since this movie focused more on Alexander and Hapheastion's relationship than him being a military genius.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
They just don't get that this movie sucks do they? The theatrical cut was terrible. The Director's Cut was worse. And the Ultimate Cut made the DC look amazing. No matter how you slice it, this movie is bad. It does nothing to show what made Alexander so great. The cast is horribly miscast. They might as well have called this movie Brokeback Macedonian since this movie focused more on Alexander and Hapheastion's relationship than him being a military genius.
Kain, per the bold, I assume you mean Final Cut instead of Ultimate?

This 10th anniversary Ultimate Cut is a new edit and hasn't been released yet (although it did apparently screen at a film festival). The UC is a 4th version of the film, after the theatrical, DC, and FC. It's about 10 minutes shorter than the 214 minute Final Cut.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 AM

Yeah, I meant Final Cut. God that version sucked.

Anyway, how many times do you think you can change something to make it not be crap? I mean, that is like taking dog poo, chopping it up and mixing it with peanut butter, and when that doesn't work, you add jelly to it, which still doesn't work. So then you dd bread to it. No matter what you do in the end, it is still going to taste like crap.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If you hate the movie so much, why do you keep watching new versions of it?

I will agree with you that the movie is miscast, but I don't agree with anything else you say. It does a very good job of showing why Alexander was a military genius, and the homosexual aspects of the story are nowhere near as prominent as complainers insist. The movie spends more time watching Colin Farrell roll around naked with a topless Rosario Dawson than it does the (entirely chaste) relationship with Hephaestion.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If you hate the movie so much, why do you keep watching new versions of it?

I will agree with you that the movie is miscast, but I don't agree with anything else you say. It does a very good job of showing why Alexander was a military genius, and the homosexual aspects of the story are nowhere near as prominent as complainers insist. The movie spends more time watching Colin Farrell roll around naked with a topless Rosario Dawson than it does the (entirely chaste) relationship with Hephaestion.
It only showed two of Alexander's battles though. It did not even show him doing anything in Egypt. It showed him battle the Persians once and then it moved on to when he visited Babylon, then moved right into his expedition in India.

Why do I keep watching it if I think it sucks? Alexandros Megas was one of the most refined leaders and military geniuses the world has ever had. He was a god among men and had an amazing life regardless of how short it was. He is one of my favorite men in history and I will always watch what I can that features him even if it is subpar. And there were some good scenes in this movie, as I do enjoy the battle against Darius III, the celebration scene in India, and the color filter used when he was injured in India. I am more harsh on this movie because there was so much potential going for it and they royally jacked it up and they seem to know this with the various versions they keep doing.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It only showed two of Alexander's battles though. It did not even show him doing anything in Egypt. It showed him battle the Persians once and then it moved on to when he visited Babylon, then moved right into his expedition in India.
How long do you want the movie to be?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
How long do you want the movie to be?
Long enough to actually do its job and tell the story as it should be. The other thing is they could have used some information for the audience such as the moon. Unless my memory is faulty, they never talked about how the eclipse was meant to be a bad omen towards the Persians as they worshipped the mood and when there was an eclipse, they thought it meant doom was upon them.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Long enough to actually do its job and tell the story as it should be.
The movie is already between 3 to 3 1/2 hours long depending on which version you watch. It's not realistic to expect it to include every single detail of the man's life. Like any bio-pic, it's basically a highlights reel of important moments that defined his character. It shows two major battles and explains that he fought many more, single-handedly conquering almost the entire known world during his short life. To show each and every battle would just be repetitive and dull, and would leave no time for other drama or character development other than battles, battles, battles - which, frankly, would all look visually the same as one another. There are only so many ways you can film a big crowd of men rushing into another big crowd of men with swords swinging.

The battle of Gaugamela scene demonstrates Alexander's keen stragetic mind, and shows what a big advantage this was over other military leaders of the time. The battle in India shows the chaos and danger that he faced when he stretched his army too thin and rushed in to conquer territories that he knew nothing about because he let his hubris get the better of him. These are the important bookends on his life that define his character arc. If you want to know more about the other battles he fought in between, that's what history books are for. Details like that don't do much to serve the needs of drama.