'The White Queen' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Default 'The White Queen' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The White Queen'. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1024..._queen_s1.html
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Is the video in 1080p or 1080i?
Edit: Video Resolution/Codec
1080i/AVC MPEG-4

DUH! Sorry
'The White Queen' is presented with a AVC MPEG-4 codec, but only at 1080i resolution. However, viewers will be hard-pressed to find a difference between this and a full 1080p transfer, as details are sharp, contrasts are solid, and colors are particularly lush without being oversaturated.

Really? Any idea why it's not 1080p?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Really? Any idea why it's not 1080p?
It's a BBC thing - Most of their Blu-rays are in 1080i (they only recently started upgrading/updating Doctor Who Blu-rays to 1080p). I think it has something to do with their TV standards over there - and it might have something to do with broadcasting at a different frame rate as well in the UK.

Someone with more knowledge about this than I is sure to chime in.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
It's a BBC thing - Most of their Blu-rays are in 1080i (they only recently started upgrading/updating Doctor Who Blu-rays to 1080p). I think it has something to do with their TV standards over there - and it might have something to do with broadcasting at a different frame rate as well in the UK.

Someone with more knowledge about this than I is sure to chime in.
Wow I didn't even know that. And from your review you said it still looks good? I was thinking of picking this up because it was so cheap.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 AM

Default Deserves more credit than he gave

Don't pay too much attention to this review. I really enjoyed this series and bought it directly from the UK months ago. Looking forward to the next series. This is historical drama so you know already it's not Game of Thrones or anything like that. If you enjoy a good court intrigue based somewhat on actual history you will enjoy the series too. I felt the acting was terrific and production values excellent. BBC does drama and character development better than we do. If you want all battles and action and you hate dialog, you might not like it.

The women in these roles are beautiful too!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Wow I didn't even know that. And from your review you said it still looks good? I was thinking of picking this up because it was so cheap.
Yes, you probably won't even know it's 1080i instead of 1080p. There's a whole school of thought on whether the human eye can even distinguish between the two, but the general consensus is that 1080i blurs more during heavy action. Fortunately, there's very little of that in 'The White Queen'.

I have other 1080i Blu-rays like the TORCHWOOD series and DOCTOR WHO, and am hard-pressed to find a difference - but others will tell you (probably those with 100" screens) that the differences are noticeable.

I certainly wouldn't let the resolution here affect your decision to buy, though. It's a good transfer.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Thanks, I think I am going to be picking this up.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:30 AM

I don't know about White Queen specifically, but a lot of British television programs are shot at 25 fps and broadcast there at 1080i 50Hz. Each original whole frame is split to two interlaced fields.

Unfortunately, the Blu-ray format only supports 1080p at the 24 fps frame rate. In order to encode a program originally shot at 25 fps to Blu-ray, the only options are either:

1) Slow down the video to 24 fps. This may or may not be noticeable to the eye. It's more often noticeable in the audio, which will have a lower pitch.

or

2) Encode the video at 1080i. In cases like this, the European Blu-ray releases are typically authored at 1080i 50Hz while the American Blu-ray releases will be frame-rate converted to 60Hz via a frame pulldown process. This preserves the original playback speed and audio pitch of the content, but may suffer video judder most visible during panning movements.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't know about White Queen specifically, but a lot of British television programs are shot at 25 fps and broadcast there at 1080i 50Hz. Each original whole frame is split to two interlaced fields.

Unfortunately, the Blu-ray format only supports 1080p at the 24 fps frame rate. In order to encode a program originally shot at 25 fps to Blu-ray, the only options are either:

1) Slow down the video to 24 fps. This may or may not be noticeable to the eye. It's more often noticeable in the audio, which will have a lower pitch.

or

2) Encode the video at 1080i. In cases like this, the European Blu-ray releases are typically authored at 1080i 50Hz while the American Blu-ray releases will be frame-rate converted to 60Hz via a frame pulldown process. This preserves the original playback speed and audio pitch of the content, but may suffer video judder most visible during panning movements.
I had no clue on this, thanks for the info

This was on sale recently at Best Buy and now it's back up to 39.99. I hope it drops. Do the BBC shows go on sale frequently?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
I had no clue on this, thanks for the info

This was on sale recently at Best Buy and now it's back up to 39.99. I hope it drops. Do the BBC shows go on sale frequently?
This is an Anchor Bay release, so it's a crap shoot...I'd just keep my eye on some of the price search websites - of course, if you wind up getting it from Amazon, click through from HDD first.