'Chicago: Diamond Edition (Remastered)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Default 'Chicago: Diamond Edition (Remastered)' - High-Def Digest Review

Chicago fans, David Krauss has reviewed 'Chicago: Diamond Edition (Remastered)'. If you revere this exceptional Best Picture winner, he says an upgrade is essential. (And at $7.99, it's a steal!) With spectacular remastered video, a 7.1 lossless audio track, and a brand-new retrospective documentary, this is highly recommended, and a must own for fans. Did we mention it's just $7.99?

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10661/chicago_de.html
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM

"Few films can raise the hairs on the back of your neck, provoke applause, or send you sailing home on air, but 'Chicago' can and does. Not once, not twice, but every single time one sees this dazzling musical."
- Are you including me in that weak generalization?

"It also reinvents and reenergizes the musical genre by giving jaded audiences a plausible entrée into the songs and dances, and proving viewers would respond (and rejoice!) if the material was presented in a manner they could accept and digest."
"an exhilarating tonic that lifts the film musical to a new artistic level, and proves there's still an enormous amount of life left in the genre."
- Are we still talking about Chicago, or Moulin Rouge that arguably did exactly that one year earlier?

Congratulations on one of the most opinionated reviews I have ever read on this site! While I am also a fan of the film, I didn't think it was anywhere near the masterpiece you are telling us it is... and for me personally, obviously I felt Moulin Rouge! was more successful as bringing new life to the staled musical genre.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 PM

5 Stars - ugh no. It's one of the weakest films to ever win Best Picture. "He had it coming" was a good sexy number but there isn't much else worth seeing in it.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM

I effing love this movie and I'm disappointed because I just recently finally got it on blu, not knowing about this edition.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 AM

Picked this up for $8 at Best Buy.

Had a spiffy slipcover. It did win Best Picture. I do remember that I enjoyed
watching it over a decade ago. And plus, I like to support studios that
remastered and improved their releases.

Now it'll sit on my shelf. Who knows how long it'll be before it gets played?