'Ender's Game' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Default 'Ender's Game' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Ender's Game'. He says this is an intelligent movie that doesn’t dumb-down its themes for the big screen. This is destined to become a cult classic. The Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10260/enders_game.html
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM

It's too bad this didn't do very well in theatres. It was a great film, and I was quite surprised at how much I liked it.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Spoiler
I've never read the book, but this film was mostly predictable. As I watched it, I just thought to myself that one of these simulations were going to be real, and I was right. Ender's final 'test' was not a simulation at all.

The second part that really didn't make sense (possibly because I haven't read the book) is the fact that Ender was basically an angry introvert, possibly a sociopath and at minimum, someone with a personality disorder, who seemed to have no feelings, sympathy, or empathy for anyone else, yet he fell in love with these aliens he helped all but destroy in the end.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Spoiler
I've never read the book, but this film was mostly predictable. As I watched it, I just thought to myself that one of these simulations were going to be real, and I was right. Ender's final 'test' was not a simulation at all.

The second part that really didn't make sense (possibly because I haven't read the book) is the fact that Ender was basically an angry introvert, possibly a sociopath and at minimum, someone with a personality disorder, who seemed to have no feelings, sympathy, or empathy for anyone else, yet he fell in love with these aliens he helped all but destroy in the end.
Well, to your first point, you can't blame the movie for following the novel. They actually fought with the studio to keep that a secret in the movie - from what I've heard...there were people behind the scenes who wanted to hint at the manipulation of Ender throughout the film (there are deleted scenes on this disc which do such).

To your second point:
Spoiler
Ender does have the qualities you mentioned, as well as the caring qualities. He's essentially the combined version of both his brother (ruthless) and his sister (compassionate) and he struggles with both sides of his nature. The book does a better job of relating this (again, since it's an internal struggle), but it seems you picked up on it watching the movie without prior reading.

This isn't a typical good guys v. bad guys story - that's one of the reasons it's so beloved.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM

The only real problem I had with 'Enders Game' is that the relationship between him and his sister is tenuous at best in the movie. The relationship is brushed over rather quickly.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
The only real problem I had with 'Enders Game' is that the relationship between him and his sister is tenuous at best in the movie. The relationship is brushed over rather quickly.
Yes I heard the book goes into more detail on the family aspects, right?

Sadly some things had to be cut out and I'm pretty happy with the movie- I never read the book though.

"Finally, on a side note, many viewers are going to finish watching 'Ender's Game' with a desire to find out what happens next. Since 'Ender's Game' didn't set the box office on fire and since the sequel to the novel actually continues Ender's story with him as an adult, another movie was probably never in the cards (pardon the obvious pun). However, I highly recommend picking up the novel 'Speaker for the Dead', which continues Ender's tale. It's every bit as powerful and moving as the original novel, and it will get you away from the TV for a few hours!"

This was me, Shannon. I absolutely wanted to know what happens after and I may have to just pick up the book. But I'd like to read Ender's Game as well.

I have the Target steelbook and it's one of the nicest ones I own. For some reason the artwork is a glossy and feels stronger than other steelbooks. Unfortunately there is NO artwork on the inside cover.

The video and audio on these movie are excellent, and I may put them up as reference for my system anyways.

Thanks for the great review, it's a shame this movie didn't get more screentime in the theaters.

It was a FAR FAR better sci fi movie than Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Loved the movie but Lionsgate has only encoded the rental discs in dd 5.1, very disappointed when the audio choices came up.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I've read the books and just saw the movie and have to say they did a pretty good job capturing the important parts of the book. I think one thing they could have expounded on a bit more but didn't was the cryo-tubbing and time travel aspects and how it affects the present earth. They made it seem like he just goes to sleep and wakes up, does his thing and comes back but it's actually a fair number of years before he makes it back again. By then his sister and brother have grown up and the world has changed a bit. That's captured more in Speaker for the Dead, but it seems like they did cover some initial aspects of the book.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Yeah, I've read the books and just saw the movie and have to say they did a pretty good job capturing the important parts of the book. I think one thing they could have expounded on a bit more but didn't was the cryo-tubbing and time travel aspects and how it affects the present earth. They made it seem like he just goes to sleep and wakes up, does his thing and comes back but it's actually a fair number of years before he makes it back again. By then his sister and brother have grown up and the world has changed a bit. That's captured more in Speaker for the Dead, but it seems like they did cover some initial aspects of the book.
I have a dumb question
Ultimately, what is the message from the story(if any)?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Haven't read the books but enjoyed the movie a lot. The performances by most of the young cast and Harrison Ford were terrific I thought.

The only parts I did not like was Bonzo and the older brother.

But if they are supposed to be annoying caricatures to begin with in the book, then they got the job done on film.