'Fantastic Mr. Fox (Criterion)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Default 'Fantastic Mr. Fox (Criterion)' - High-Def Digest Review

Bryan has reviewed 'Fantastic Mr. Fox (Criterion)'. This is a must own. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1030...criterion.html
Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Wow - talk about high ratings. When this was announced, I think I made a comment to the effect of "finally a Criterion title I might be interested in." This review just reinforces it. And the cover art ain't bad either.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM

I wish there had been more (any) comparisons with the older release, so that those of us who own it can decide whether an upgrade is warrantied (apart from obviously richer supplement materials).
Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM

$24.99 on Amazon not bad. I'm tempted to bite
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM

That's a really high score across the board except for the oft neglected High Def extras.

I have the non-Criteron release and although I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, I would like to know how the releases actually compare.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk61 View Post
I wish there had been more (any) comparisons with the older release, so that those of us who own it can decide whether an upgrade is warrantied (apart from obviously richer supplement materials).
Agree on all counts.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 AM

$34.39 on amazon.ca.... I really wish Criterion releases weren't so darn pricey. I'd like to get The Thin Red Line on blu-ray from Criterion, but I just can't will myself to pay $35+ for a single blu-ray release anymore.

As for this blu-ray release of Fantastic Mr. Fox, it pretty much sounds like the AQ and PQ are pretty much identical with the 20th Century Fox release. Not too interested in the extra special features (though they do sound pretty cool). So for me, I'll definitely be sticking with my original Fox release.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM

what the cuss? i didn't even know this existed
Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Over the years, my taste for Wes Anderson has grown. I'd occasionally come across a movie of his I didn't care for (Life Aquatic), or ones that took some time to grown on me (Rushmore), but many I loved from the first viewing (Moonrise Kingdom, TRT).

So this...I'm not 100% sure about. I collect Criterions (with only one blind buy I'm considering selling...) but I think I'd have to watch this one first. Maybe it's because it's stop motion animation. It just seems so much better reviewed than I'd expect.

Perhaps at the next Buy Two Get One Free at B&N, I'll go Wes Anderson crazy and get this/TRT/Rushmore.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Over the years, my taste for Wes Anderson has grown. I'd occasionally come across a movie of his I didn't care for (Life Aquatic), or ones that took some time to grown on me (Rushmore), but many I loved from the first viewing (Moonrise Kingdom, TRT).

So this...I'm not 100% sure about. I collect Criterions (with only one blind buy I'm considering selling...) but I think I'd have to watch this one first. Maybe it's because it's stop motion animation. It just seems so much better reviewed than I'd expect.

Perhaps at the next Buy Two Get One Free at B&N, I'll go Wes Anderson crazy and get this/TRT/Rushmore.
IMO this is one to own but def rent it first.

For 24.99 I am almost tempted to buy it but I guess I will wait.