Ender's Game - reviews? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Ender's Game - reviews?

Where is the High-Def Digest review of this week's Blu release? blu-ray.com and avsforum note it is a stunning reference quality release. Really enjoyed the movie (and obviously the book) so looking forward to picking it up.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM

There was some talk about the controversy surrounding the author of Ender's Game, specifically his views on gay marriage. So, HDD may have chosen to boycott the film.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
There was some talk about the controversy surrounding the author of Ender's Game, specifically his views on gay marriage. So, HDD may have chosen to boycott the film.
Which, if it was the reason for no review, I would support HDD.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM

If this movie would have sucked and could get an acidulous review on HDD, maybe the staff here could review it without having egg on their face. It's easier to say, "hey, this movie sucked balls, and that's good, because the author of this book was a POS and didn't deserve credit for yadda yadda" - With all of the rave reviews it's getting now, I'm sure HDD staffers aren't exactly lining up for the task, even if many of them have already seen the film. How do you handle such a task? Do you put a disclaimer in the review and hope that it doesn't offend someone, or do you just not review it at all? Sometimes, the disclaimers alone offend people, because they come off as ignorant, insensitive, or are kind of like, "well, I don't want to offend you, but hey, I'm going to do it anyway." lol
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM

We are working on a review, the studio didn't send out a review copy.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
The movie wasn't terrible, nor was it great. The author is a colossal nutcase, who didn't get any profits from the film except for the original licensing fee, so the whole boycott thing is ridiculous and people directing their energies in the easiest, laziest target instead of actually doing something useful.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
The author is a colossal nutcase, who didn't get any profits from the film except for the original licensing fee, so the whole boycott thing is ridiculous and people directing their energies in the easiest, laziest target instead of actually doing something useful.
Not exactly accurate. To say that he "didn't get any profits from the film except for the original licensing fee" is basically saying, "He didn't get any money from this movie, aside from the big pile of money he got paid for it! But that happened before the movie was released, so that totally doesn't count."

Also, had the film proved to be a blockbuster, Card would have been in a good position to negotiate a bigger payday and profit participation for sequel rights, as well as selling the rights to his other works. How much of an impact the boycotters really played in the movie's box office failure (as opposed to just general audience indifference), I can't say, but they had sound reasons for refusing to buy tickets if they felt strongly about it.

The Ender's Game novel was written before Card went off the deep end. It's a very good book, and could make the basis for a good movie. (I still haven't seen this one.) It's a shame there's so much baggage attached to it as a result of the author's lunacy.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
We are working on a review, the studio didn't send out a review copy.
Awesome! Can't wait to see what you guys think. I thought the audio and video were great, and the I enjoyed the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
The movie wasn't terrible, nor was it great. The author is a colossal nutcase, who didn't get any profits from the film except for the original licensing fee, so the whole boycott thing is ridiculous and people directing their energies in the easiest, laziest target instead of actually doing something useful.
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The Ender's Game novel was written before Card went off the deep end. It's a very good book, and could make the basis for a good movie. (I still haven't seen this one.) It's a shame there's so much baggage attached to it as a result of the author's lunacy.
I agree

I'm dying to read the book.
I enjoyed this movie.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 AM

Looking forward to the review thread. Yes, review thread.

I can't wait to rip a hole into this film. Took me 3 nights to finish watching the
blu-ray.

-----

I read there were so many attempts in getting this book to a film. Weiss and
Benioff of Game of Thrones' fame made an attempt at writing the script for
Ender's Games.

I guess that's at least 1 thing good of this Ender's Games film. Its existence
without Weiss and Benioff, allowed them to work on another project about
"Games".