'Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Default 'Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven has reviewed 'Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans.' He says this is a genuine silent film masterpiece. Highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9832...se_humans.html
Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 AM

I'm late to the party on this movie, but I appreciate the loving review. I only picked this up because, having heard of its reputation but only nominally being a silent film fan, I suddenly found it in Walmart's $7.88 Blu-ray bin and thought what the hell.

With the caveat that I only own City Lights and The General besides this one, I can easily call Sunrise my favorite silent film. I was blown away by it. And your description of the church scene is on the mark. That sh*t broke me in half.

The inkier blacks in the European cut do make me intensely wish the original movietone had a better transfer, but the overall experience is too magical to complain much. As for the European edit itself, I would have thought a shorter version would please me, but some of the most haunting stuff was cut short or cut out.

I've never seen anything quite like this film, and nothing from Keaton's or Chaplin's world prepared me for it.