'Foreign Correspondent' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Default 'Foreign Correspondent' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed the Criterion release of Alfred Hitchcock's 'Foreign Correspondent'. He says this is one of Hitchcock's most thrilling and perfectly executed films. With spectacular video, first-rate audio, and excellent supplements, this Blu-ray is one of the best classic movie releases of the year. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1031...espondent.html
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 AM

I've been on a real Hitchcock kick this past year, viewing many of his movies for the first time. I was honestly surprised when this Blu-Ray was announced, since I wasn't even aware of this movie. Look forward to grabbing this during the next Criterion sale... with shipping and the Australian dollar being in the toilet, Criterions will cost me a fortune otherwise. Have only gotten Seven Samurai so far.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:20 AM

"Absolute perfection is the best way to describe this ... not a single mark or blemish mars this pristine presentation."

Are we watching the same Blu-Ray? I mean, I agree on all the plaudits for black levels, level of detail in about 60% of the shots... but there were at least half a dozen instances of giant, ugly hairs (debris caught between the film interpositive and the scanning camera glass) that last for a good 10-30 seconds apiece. I don't think I'm being too nit-picky when I say they were distracting and are probably worthy of downgrading the whole presentation rating.

It mystifies me how Criterion let such obvious print defects stay in their transfer. They're not even in crucial areas of the print (e.g. faces), to where they would be difficult to paint out via computer.