What movie unavailable on blu-ray do you want the most, and how much would you pay? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Are you also irritated that True Lies isn't on Blu-Ray?
Yes! 10 76.92%
No! 1 7.69%
I don't like James Cameron, so no. 0 0%
Meh. 2 15.38%
They should rerelease it in theaters in 3D! 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Default What movie unavailable on blu-ray do you want the most, and how much would you pay?

Easy for me:

True Lies

If it was excellent quality, I'd pay $50 right now. If it was limited numbers (like 3,000) then I'd pay $100.

Runner up:

Jackie Chan's Who Am I?

Whatever the quality, I'd pay $40 if I felt I couldn't wait and get it cheaper.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 PM

I certainly like True Lies. I'd like to have it on Blu-ray, but I don't think I'd pay more than about $30 at most. Maybe $35 if it was a Steelbook.

I also like Who am I? As a general rule, I want Jackie Chan and Jet Li films on BD.

I can't really think of any movies offhand that I want on BD but aren't yet. Though I'm waiting forever to get the Indiana Jones movies on Steelbook >_< They were supposed to come out last Fall ~_~

I also want the MLP FiM season on BD, but I think only Germany has gotten that yet. I've mostly lost hope for a NA release.

EDIT: Oh, for another Cameron film, I'd like to see the Abyss too. I think they were working on it. Needed it because the effects are so dated now.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Dumb and Dumber (theatrical cut) I would pay 15 ($25)

Warriors (theatrical cut) I would pay (see above)

Both transfers would have to be good though, 4 stars for PQ and AQ in their reviews.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Besides True Lies missing you still have unreleased classics like The Abyss, Strange Days, The Black Hole, Dragonslayer, The First Deadly Sin, RobotJox, etc, etc. This list could go on and on.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 PM

Oh yeah. I would pay $50 each for any of the above titles.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 PM

True Lies - Jamie Lee Curtis looking her FINEST
Still not worth $35 IMO
Unless Criterion does it LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Yes, I am irritated that True Lies isn't on blu-ray, but paying $50 for it?
Seriously, guys?

Maybe back in 2005, I might pay $50 for it. Back then 1080p was so much
more "value" than a 480p broadcast.

Many years ago, I remember $15 was bargain price for a blu-ray. Today,
$5 titles go on sale every so often. So $50 is too much for a premium
price now. I'd spend $25 for a premium (new release, limited edition,
steelbook, collectors, Criterion, etc) title but not $50.

I have many, many unopened blus that I have yet to watch, that I picked
up at fractions of $50 bucks. I can't justify spending $50 on a single blu.

-----

Look at it this way: If True Lies can be imported from Japan/Europe/
wherever for $50, would you import it? I'd likely wait until it gets much
cheaper. Unless the import was a 3D, steelbook, unavailable director's
cut domesically, extra disc of bonus features, etc. Have you imported a
$50 title?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM

It's just about ridiculous that The Abyss isn't on blu-ray yet. I'd like to see Song of the South and the uncut version of Black Cauldron, even if nothing but for historical reference. The UK got a VHS of Song of the South, and Asia got several bootleg laserdiscs of it, but nothing in America, and Black Cauldron has never had an uncut release. Black Cauldron was apparently suppose to be more of a horror film, but they decided to tone it down for the kiddies.

Many obscure Disney titles need to be released on blu, even if they are in the 4:3 aspect ratio, like Dr. Syn Alias The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. Another one I'd like to see (but probably will never be released) is Guns of the Heather/Secret of Boyne Castle. It was a (2-part?) mini series in the US on the Wonderful World of Color but was patched together and released theatrically in Europe. Too bad it was filmed in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio though. If they knew it was going to be released theatrically, they should have done it in 1.66:1.

To answer timcharger's question: Yes, I've imported $50+ titles on mostly Asian blu-ray 3D films but possibly on HD-DVD and laserdiscs too. No, I would not pay $50 for The Abyss. As for how much I'd be willing to pay, ya know, if the Abyss came out, I don't think it'd command a super high price, except for the most die-hard fans. Look at a comparable film like Event Horizon. It's been a bargain bin film since its release. For the Disney films, a good price range is between $20 and $30 as a new release.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Malakai I was quite certain Song of the South was properly made on the U.S. laserdisc.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Malakai I was quite certain Song of the South was properly made on the U.S. laserdisc.
I haven't been able to find any information about a US release, but back in the day, there were rumors of rental versions of the film in North America, although I've not seen any. They very likely could have been bootlegs that VHS rental stores had bought (or had made) due to consumer demand. I imagine that many rental stores had a backroom printing and dubbing station to pass off bootlegs as real copies. After all, buying 10-20 copies of every new release probably got expensive. LOL

As far as laserdiscs, maybe JoshZ knows a little more about this film and whether or not it was released in NA.