'City of Angels' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Default 'City of Angels' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'City of Angels.' Check it out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10204/city_angels.html
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 AM

Hi- I registered here just to ask this question:

am I missing something, or is the reviewer completely unaware that the major reason this movie sucks is that it's nothing more than a cheezy melodramatic remake of Wings of Desire?

I had a couple glasses of wine with dinner, so maybe I missed it. But I read this thing and didn't see one mention of that obvious fact, which a short Google search would have taken care of for the reviewer.

That's not the only reason City of Angels sucks so bad that a rational person would want to throw things at his HD display mind you. I just don't understand how that's not a central theme to the conversation, as in hey, folks, this movie sucks, but Criterion did a GREAT job with Wings of Desire, which is a truly GREAT movie, so please go watch that!

I sure hope that wasn't left out just because the reviewer was unaware of the film's provenance as a remake in which case I'd have to say, as I so often do to other people for other reasons, "son, do your homework."

-Shane
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 AM

I've always enjoyed this movie for some reason. I like the idea of an angel having "free will" and the decision it would be to become human. This movie had many songs I enjoy Iris and Uninvited to name a couple. I will add this blu to my collection as I like it much more than 2 1/2 stars, closer to 4 for me.

Btw Luke I took your high recommendation and bought "About time" will watch with wife on V Day so I sure hope it is as good as you say.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecb View Post
Hi- I registered here just to ask this question:

am I missing something, or is the reviewer completely unaware that the major reason this movie sucks is that it's nothing more than a cheezy melodramatic remake of Wings of Desire?

I had a couple glasses of wine with dinner, so maybe I missed it. But I read this thing and didn't see one mention of that obvious fact, which a short Google search would have taken care of for the reviewer.

That's not the only reason City of Angels sucks so bad that a rational person would want to throw things at his HD display mind you. I just don't understand how that's not a central theme to the conversation, as in hey, folks, this movie sucks, but Criterion did a GREAT job with Wings of Desire, which is a truly GREAT movie, so please go watch that!

I sure hope that wasn't left out just because the reviewer was unaware of the film's provenance as a remake in which case I'd have to say, as I so often do to other people for other reasons, "son, do your homework."

-Shane
I actually think a review can be perfectly valid without referencing any previous influences or versions of the film. A movie should be able to stand (or fail) on it's own merits, and not need to be compared to the original. Being aware of or referencing the original isn't required for either reviewing the film or appreciating it.

For the record, I didn't like the film and was only very vaguely aware it was based on another film (which I have never seen).
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
I actually think a review can be perfectly valid without referencing any previous influences or versions of the film. A movie should be able to stand (or fail) on it's own merits, and not need to be compared to the original. Being aware of or referencing the original isn't required for either reviewing the film or appreciating it.

For the record, I didn't like the film and was only very vaguely aware it was based on another film (which I have never seen).
shanecb is missing something. This is far from the first time this publication has failed to identify Hollywood's effort as being derivative of a far superior film. I find the reviewer's frank admission of his ignorance refreshing, but wanting as an argument.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM

I hated this movie, I took my now wife with me to see it when we were dating and we couldnt get out of there fast enough after the movie was over, we almost didnt make it through the whole thing and the end just ruined anything the movie did or setup for IMO.

As for Luke's review, why does knowledge of a previous film need to be applied here? If Luke had no idea that this was some quasi remake, there is no reason to do a ton of research just to add that to a review of THIS movie. If I was reviewing this movie I would have done the same thing, I had no idea this was some remake of an older film that I never heard of and I wouldnt have had an inkling to even go look for that fact. But I love first time posters that register just to come in and insult the reviewers, I'm sure we will be lucky if you even hang around after this.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM

I'm completely aware that this is a remake - it's mentioned MANY times throughout the commentary tracks - but I felt it wasn't relevant to mention in the body of my review.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM

"why does knowledge of a previous film need to be applied here?"

It's disappointing as a missed opportunity to refer other movie lovers to a superior film. I fail to find charm in reviews that lack perspective and knowledge of even relatively recent film history.

-Shane
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Ok.

Giving you the BOD here, how would your review not have been enhanced by referring people to the superior original?

Can't say I get that. I would ask you to rethink it in the future.

What if one more person read that and watched and fell in love with Wings of Desire?

I see that as a more desirable outcome than simply complaining about this awful remake.

-Shane
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Devil's Advocate here:

Even though City of Angels is technically a (crappy) remake of Wings of Desire, the two movies are not even remotely targeted toward the same audience, nor do they share much in common beyond the basic premise. Wings of Desire is an expressionistic German art film. City of Angels is a sappy Hollywood chick flick. The type of viewer who would pay to see City of Angels, whether they end up liking the movie or not, is unlikely to want to rush to see Wings of Desire afterwards.

So, as far as that goes, talking about Wings of Desire is kind of irrelevant to a review of whether City of Angels is a good movie or not, except as a trivia footnote.